Author Topic: seed saving  (Read 1398 times)

STEVEB

• Acre
seed saving
« on: August 24, 2008, 20:00:51 »
Any of you lovely helpfull people out there have any links to seed saving info sites?
I know the basics such as the wet seeds in a jar of water,looking to try to avoid spending out  too much on seeds
Many thanks in advance.
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: seed saving
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 20:34:17 »
Garden Organic have a seed Library (HSL) and they have advice pages on saving seed...  :)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 20:34:48 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 23:28:27 »

Nemesia

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 16:55:40 »
There is a very special place where seeds of almost everything are kept and catalogued. They might have hints and tips. I think it is called The Henry Doubleday Research Association. 

Also, as a matter of interest, I used to be a member of the Hardy Plant Society. They distribute seed every year from a list they send out well before the growing season. The list always contains the seed of rare and unusual perennials.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 23:24:16 »
real seeds is a great link!!strange for a seed company to supply info on how to save bit counter productive!!
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 03:18:49 »
real seeds is a great link!!strange for a seed company to supply info on how to save bit counter productive!!

But other seed companies ought to take note. The Real seeds people work flat out and still their popular items sell out fast.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 07:26:30 »
Just a couple of tips if you're saving seed - when you are cleaning small 'dry' seed, such as carrots and anything else which is a bit dusty, wear safety googles to prevent any bits of chaff going into your eyes - and save your seed in paper bags - not plastic.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal