Author Topic: Propagating autumn fruiting raspberries...  (Read 6972 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Propagating autumn fruiting raspberries...
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:25:59 »
Does anyone recommend a particular method of propagating autumn fruiting raspberries please? I bought some yellow ones last year that have a superb flavour and would like to have some more!

On line it mentions digging up suckers, hardwood cuttings (which I presume are for summer fruiting varieties), and even rooting soft cuttings in water.....anyone favour a particular method?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Propagating autumn fruiting raspberries...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 12:39:03 »
My autumn raspberries seem to do a very good job of self propagation - I am forever digging up runners which go underneath the path and reappear with the blackcurrants. I would thought that if you are seeing something similar it's these you dig out and replant? Would seem easiest and least hassle approach.  :)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 12:45:16 »
I'm with Suzanne - it's only me first year of Allgold, but as they are essentially yellow Autumn Bliss, I can't see it being a problem getting loads of suckers in the middle of the nearest path!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 14:08:58 »
If you've just planted them this year you probably won't have any suckers yet, they will appear next spring.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 13:13:32 »
Thanks, yes I can't see any runners yet, I'm obviously impatient! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 13:21:33 »
Last year I planted a Fall red rasp. (Heritage) and now have many suckers with no work involved. We've had two friends coming over to dig up the everbearing reds which we're taking out. the old bed quickly became an impenetrable thicket impossible to weed so this time I'll religiously relocate the suckers to keep a path.

Well, that is the intent ::)
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 13:37:09 »
I find them harder to keep in place than my Egyptian Walking Onions ;D

Yes, as Suzanne has written, to replant wandering suckers is the easiest way to go I think. Or grub them up, chop and compost, pot up and give them/sell them wherever when they've really established itchy feet...

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 18:07:59 »
Some of my Autumn Bliss have travelled 4ft into the blackcurrants. If I forget to dig that up it will be visiting the gooseberries next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal