Author Topic: When do I pick my apples?  (Read 10029 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
When do I pick my apples?
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:12:37 »
This is the first year that my apple tree has truly performed (4yr old).  It has an abundance of apples but the one I tasted 4 days ago tasted a bit sour.  They look ripe enough but when are they best to be picked?  How will I know?  I don't want to lose them to falling and rotting on the ground.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: When do I pick my apples?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:14:31 »
Afraid getting it right comes a bit with experience but basically if they come off when you pull with a slight twist they are ready, otherwise leave them.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 13:58:16 »
Fruit from my large old apple tree (cox type) taste very sharp at the moment and I have learned over the years that they are at their best from mid-September to early October. That means that many fall off while I'm waiting, and I make them into sauces and pies or leave them on the ground to dig in later as compost.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 16:05:55 »
Do you know the variety? Some dessert apples are picked at the end of Oct to store for use in Dec-March....  ???

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 17:06:50 »
we wait 'til the wasps start on one!
You couldn't make it up!

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 18:54:53 »
Other indicators of ripeness include a change in the background green colour of the apple to yellow-green, and the apples start to really smell of apples.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 19:05:20 »
I picked my two Bramley apples today and am cooking them with pork as apple sauce.  I know I should have left them but was a bit scared they might have been stolen from the allotment.  A brilliant tree, brought from Morrisons 3 years ago and is doing well.  Had about 6 apples earlier on and have cooked and frozen them as apple sauce.  Perhaps when I have hundred and thousands, dream on, I will wait until Sept/Oct but was just so excited about these apples and counted them on the tree.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 14:00:49 »
If it's a small tree, shake it. The apples are usually ready when they drop off. that being said, I have had the odd year when I had to keep my Egremont Russet for 3-4 weeks after they fell.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal