Author Topic: Agapanthus flowers finished - what should I do now?  (Read 28328 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Agapanthus flowers finished - what should I do now?
« on: August 25, 2008, 17:10:13 »
Hurray, my Ag flowered this year for the first time since I planted the bulbs a year ago last Spring, and they were blue, beautiful, and most welcome after all the torrential rain we've had down here in the West (and which nadgered the rest of my flowers).  Should I now cut the expired flower spike off or let it and the rest of the foliage die down naturally.

Thanks in advance from an unexpectedly sunny Cornwall. (Wot - a BH and it's not raining?????!!!!!)
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Agapanthus flowers finished - what should I do now?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 18:06:25 »
You could cut the flower head off, but you could leave it an collect seed.  They do take quite a while to reach flowering stage from seed, but we all like a challenge. ;D

Otherwise, just let the foliage die back naturally, and do a bit of a clean up in Spring.

valmarg

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 19:31:19 »
Whilst living in south Africa I let mine die back and removed them when they come away with little pressure. I now live in Devon and my Agapanthus has flowered for the first time this year so will treat the same way.

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 19:54:43 »
Thanks for the info on my Ag.  The seed idea is very interesting and I am going to leave one flower to die naturally, and take seed, and cut the others off. :)
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 16:27:06 »
At the risk of repetition, I read some RHS advice recently which said that cutting the seed heads off does not help to improve flowering - unlike cutting off seed heads of daffodils, for example - so there is no need to do it.  Letting the plants die down and collecting the dried seed after that is well worth doing.
Keep Calm and Carry On

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 17:42:08 »
Thanks hopalong.  We are advised 'not to leave seed heads on plants, you don't want to reduce flowering next year by allowing the plants to produce seed'.  Rhododendrons (as well as daffodils) are a case in point.

I should have to admit, I didn't deadhead my agapanthus last year (basically because the seedheads make an attractive Autumn display).

This year's flowers have been as good, if not better, than last year.

Shall have to make a point of collecting the seeds. ;D

valmarg

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 19:37:52 »
Thanks hopalong.  We are advised 'not to leave seed heads on plants, you don't want to reduce flowering next year by allowing the plants to produce seed'.  Rhododendrons (as well as daffodils) are a case in point.

valmarg

Yes, I just gave daffodils as an example. Like you, I thought that we should not leave seed heads on any plants, including agapanthus until I read "RHS Wisley Expert Gardeners' Advice" which says that agapanthus is an exception.
Keep Calm and Carry On

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 21:24:24 »
Well, here goes hopalong.  Shall save some of the agapanthus seed.  It takes a while to get to flowering stage, but we all like a challenge. ;D

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal