Author Topic: slugs  (Read 1527 times)

DAVIESFOZZIE

• Not So New ...
    • daviesfozzie
slugs
« on: August 28, 2008, 22:11:33 »
has anyone had a reason to suspect slugs of eating onions before as on my allotment i have had the tops eaten away and also an experience gardener friend has had his destroyed also at home i grew beetroot which i thought were immune to slugs but i pulled out a few with slugs in them is this due to the bad and wet 2 years we have had and an explosion in the slug  population as they require a new food source

carosanto

• Half Acre
Re: slugs
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 22:24:08 »
In Cornwall, where it has been REALLY wet again this year my spring onions were all attacked, as were radishes, beetroot, AND purple sprouting broccoli.  I've found slugs clinging halfway up 6ft beanpoles, they are under every stone, and I just found tonight that they have totally demolished a thriving patty pan sqush, by eating through the hairy stem, which is unusual.  Slugs have attacked my courgettes, and in one case stripped leaves bare.  I know it's slugs becuse I find their corpses every day in my slug traps.  Nearly all of my stuff is netted so it's not birds or rabbits for sure. They are absolutely everywhere, and I keep finding slug (or snail) eggs in my pots, in my flowerbeds and in my lottie beds.

It's an explosion;  they are taking over, and obviously needing new sources of food.  God help us all next year!!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

DAVIESFOZZIE

• Not So New ...
    • daviesfozzie
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 22:33:16 »
 have seen slugs pass by slug pelletts andgo up my bean sticks after ny runner beanthey  i am told that the pelletts attract the slugs but they then can go after some more tastier fare i went out one evening and killed 40 slugs no point same number the night

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 22:40:17 »
Loads on my plot this year.............yuk.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 00:57:40 »
Dug up my onions today, and found a few slugs eating quite happily inside a few!  Curled up all nice and warm too!!!  ??? ??? ???

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 01:59:12 »

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 07:56:22 »
BLOODY HELL :o :o :o :o :o YOU HAVE GOT AN INFESTATION PROBLEM JUST KEEP THAT LOT AWAY FROM ME :-X

I'm going to try this method later this week in preparation for my seedlings I've got to plant out in a few weeks time. according to its success I'll be trying it out next growing season en mass.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,4440.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal