Author Topic: Rose propagation......how???  (Read 1374 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Rose propagation......how???
« on: August 13, 2004, 11:55:48 »
I think the title says it all, really.

I absolutely adore roses & want to take some cuttings off the three bushes I currently have.

If I just cut a piece of side shoot (or main stem) and plonk it in the ground with some rooting powder will it grow, or is there some extra magic needed?

Thanks

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
Re:Rose propagation......how???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 13:31:46 »
I was once assured by my grandparents that this was all you needed to do, however, I've never tried it myself.

I'm sure I saw a lady doing it in a feature on gardner's world years ago as well. Seemed to work for her.

Hugh_Jones

Re:Rose propagation......how???
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 17:51:16 »
Two methods:

1.  Cuttings of firm ripe wood (preferrably from a main shoot) about 10 - 12 inches long taken in late September/early October.  Trim off immediately below a leaf node and remove all the leaves (but not the side buds) from the lower half.  If there is a growth bud on the top nip it off.  Soil not too heavy, and lay a line of sharp sand along the line where you intend to insert the cuttings.  Make the holes with a stick (in the centre of the line of sand so that some dribbles into each hole) to a depth equal to the denuded lower stem, stick in the cuttings and firm around.   Leave for at least 12 months, or longer if growth is poor.

2. Bud onto briar or rugosa stock like the nurserymen do.  This will give you bigger plants more quickly, but is only really necessary in the case of very weak growers.  I used to do this in my younger days, and can give you full instructions if you wish to try this, but it takes a bit of practice to get it right, and you need to get hold of some seedling briars of the correct stock.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal