Author Topic: carrier bags  (Read 10231 times)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
Re: carrier bags
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 07:42:13 »
It's even better if you've got most of the stuff on the conveyor belt.

Tesco used to be dreadful.  You'd put all your shopping on the belt, then some jobsworth supervisor and a security guard used to come up to the till and start cashing up, taking away notes and giving bags of change to the checkout girl
They used to take ages, checking off this that and the other.  We had great pleasure, having been exasperated waiting ages to tell them, 'when you've done that, you can put that lot back on the shelves', and then walk out. ;D ;D ;D

valmarg

We caught a Pub Landlord like that once.
We ordered several pints of beer which he had put on the counter, when he noticed a 14 year old boy with us (could legally be in a Pub and drink minerals). He said "He can't come in here", we tried to explain but he was adamant, so we all walked out leaving the beer on the counter, without paying.

What happened to the thick brown paper bags that they still use today in the states.  At least they can go in our compost bins!!
Bring back the brown paper bag with handles!!.

What about all the trees cut down to make that paper, that contributes to global warming.

Takes a long, long time to grow those trees.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 07:51:15 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 08:41:43 »
I don't drive so have my shopping delivered. I alternate between Asda, Tesco and Salisbury's and without fail they all seem to put just one or two items in each bag. I have toothpaste in a bag on it's own, shampoo in another, baked beans in another and on it goes. I get on average 42 bags per shop and that's for only £60 worth of shopping! If I had to pack the shopping I could easily get into into seven or eight bags. Often wondered how they can justify this when if I went to the store myself I would be charged for each bag.  ???

i have mine delivered from tesco, they also have an option for refusing the bags unless necessary, if you pick that option you also get green points to your clubcard. i pick this option and only get approx 4 bags per monthly shopping.

What happened to the thick brown paper bags that they still use today in the states.  At least they can go in our compost bins!!
Bring back the brown paper bag with handles!!.

What about all the trees cut down to make that paper, that contributes to global warming.

Takes a long, long time to grow those trees.

yes they do but you could use recyclable paper/ trees grown for paper manufacture ie a renewable source rather than an ancient forest.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 10:29:15 »
well Ive just finshed reading this thread from page 1 till now
firstly there would be half the bags if the supermarkets changed there policy's about how things are merchandised and stored.
as i have to open all the plastic packaging when i get home as i havent the freezer space for it
only have so much space to store all those box bottels and jars
my point is before they want to charge me for plastic bags i might invoice them for the repackaging costs so there shelves can look all symmetrical ,
the stores have increased in size to allow for the new freezers to store there new packaging and so on

but who has paid for all this we have theres less staff to deal with us when we have a complaint (customer service) if you can find one

what about the cost of all this change by them the environmental costs of there latest venture SUPER STORES mmmmm
 i want my butcher back the green grosser , the fish monger my brown bags with handles and plastic bags on a roll

Guess what we can re use them over and over

watch this space MR BROWN your out at the next election for stupid decision like this ripping us off //i dont drive a jaguar car cant afford it nor the petrol to put in it

but listen we arn't going to take it anymore

sorry to everyone for the griping plastic bags was a sore subject of mine countless emails to the conglomarets I'm not going to fit the bill for them     

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 10:34:20 »
I must admit when I moved to France two years ago the lack of supermarket bags took a bit of getting used to.  I am now prepared and do not miss them at all.  When in the UK I refuse bags where possible and even my parents over there take their own bags with them.  What works for me is:

- a fold up bag that I keep in my handbag (my sad sac) - I know lakeland sell them
- in my car - a large ikea bag for the light stuff, several reusable bags for general groceries, a cooler bag and most importantly a canvas bag for with holes for up to nine bottles

The only thing that takes some discipline is putting the bags back in the car once I have unpacked them.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 10:54:57 »
The only thing that takes some discipline is putting the bags back in the car once I have unpacked them.

My OH drives me crazy with this, he is the driver and i always put the bags we have for reusing on the key hook so when he next goes into the car he just has to pick them up with the keys and put back in the car. well LAWD!!! can he ever remember too, not in the slightest >:( drives me crazy ::)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 11:38:31 »
Sainsbury's gave me a free fridge magnet which says 'Take an old bag shopping' as I was with my younger partner, he couldn't stop laughing and said he already had.  We now have it on the fridge and it does make me laugh.  I much prefer to go shopping on my own as we have to do it military fashion, march down every aisle with a list (which I never have) and if we are not out of the shop in 10 mins or have to wait at the till has a 'man sulk'.  We then have to drive home very fast and I unpack so he can get control of the remote control.  I then sometimes creep out again so I can look at all the 'buy one, get one free' and of course the plants, seeds, etc.  He is very into re-usable bags, that he buys for 10p and heaven help me if I can't find them or have used them for the allotment.  I just give his 10p back and tell him to stop moaning.  I think we should bring back ration books, just for plastic bags, and every adult person can have two a week. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal