Author Topic: EU Set to Ban Glyphosate  (Read 24737 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
EU Set to Ban Glyphosate
« on: August 22, 2008, 18:12:01 »
Received this weeks copy of amateur Gardening magazine today (subscriber). I was concerned to read in the news section about the EU's plan to ban or restrict the use of the systemic weedkiller component glyphosate in domestic weedkillers.

Now I dont use it myself but I respect people who use it and appreciate that in certain situations it is a nessesary and effective substance. I think the consequences of this ban will be significant for gardens and gardeners. With no decent alternative people will either have to dig out the weeds by hand or face their garens and plots being overrun with pernicious weeds - with some loosing interest i gardening as a result (and more work for the rest of us!). This is very bad news for gardening, not just non organic gardeners.

Your thoughts on this please.

betula

• Hectare
Re: EU Set to Ban Glyphosate
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 18:20:54 »
Yes in certain circumstances it useful.However the guy on the plot next to me is to fond of it and has put it on the dividing path between our plots.
No need for that whatsoever.Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 18:35:15 »
the guy on the plot next to me is to fond of it and has put it on the dividing path between our plots.
No need for that whatsoever.Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

That's just absurd. With people like that, and tales on here of people having their plots sprayed by idiots, you can see a case for banning it. It's a very dangerous chemical, and we all know how much damage an idiot can do with it. I'd be all in favour of it being harder to come by - or even not selling it to someone who hasn't read the instructions...

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 20:45:16 »
When the EU decides to ban Glyphosate will we still be able to use any existing stocks of weed killer that we have in our allotment sheds with this banned substance?, I would not like to break any EU regs and would feel really guilty about doing so being a citizen of Europe  ;)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 20:59:37 »
When the EU decides to ban Glyphosate will we still be able to use any existing stocks of weed killer that we have in our allotment sheds with this banned substance?, I would not like to break any EU regs and would feel really guilty about doing so being a citizen of Europe  ;)

Haha!!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 21:13:05 »
Guilt  ??? ??? ??? ???  What's that  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
The Tuscan Beaneater

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 21:13:55 »
people will either have to dig out the weeds by hand or face their garens and plots being overrun with pernicious weeds - .
[/quote]

Frankly I'm delighted it is to be banned. I spend every weekend digging out weeds by hand and am happy in the knowlegde that the food I grow isn't contaminated with chemicals.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 22:40:09 »
I knew about this & already have a large and lethal supply in my shed...along with 150w light bulbs (so I can see what I'm bloody doing once these get phased out too)

8)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 23:53:27 »
Erm, I'm normally pretty up-to-date on pesticide regulations changes but haven't heard this one. I wonder where the information is coming from exactly, as there doesn't seem to be anything I can find relating to withdrawal of glyphosate products. Would be grateful for any definite source.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 00:05:04 »
I have a container of Glyphosate and shall use that up anyway, I think the alternative will be SBK (I haven't seen Glyphosate listed in that).

It's like the banning of creosote, just because some damned fools sprayed it it was banned. I used it for years in the trade with no problems. I knew better than to spray it, it was always brushed. One thing it does which the so-called substitutes don't do is stop woodworm.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 00:35:20 »
Thanks for the warning GA.  I shall be going out and stocking up with supplies.

I do get a bit tired of the EU and its 'bans' on chemicals.  Armillatox is a case in point.  It has been approved by several British establishments for various uses, but along comes the EU and says 'NO' that it can only be used as a patio furniture wash.

If you go to armillatox.co.uk you will be told that the only use for the substance is to wash down patios and furniture, BUT, if you go to armillatox.com, you will be told all the other uses (that used to be 'legal' in the UK), and for which I still use it.

valmarg

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 01:49:34 »
Hasn't this got something to do with non-hodgkins lymphoma? Water contamination is also an issue. No doubt these things are hotly denied but all these interests are vested and one of the hottest deniers will be Monsanto. I have zero faith in them and others like them.
    There's always an alternative - use your brain, garden in ways you don't have to use this stuff. It can be done. If people think they can get perfection without at least some time and effort they're deluded anyway, so let them give up the land to someone who will try hard.
     I don't mean to slate people who use chemicals I just like doing things the hard way, like every good hippy. We will win in the end. I don't see how the EU is worse than any other government but that's political argument innit.
      And more work for the rest of us sounds good to me, as long as it's paid.

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 04:56:02 »
I am glad when they ban it. Since without it the the weak and uncommitted gardeners with be removed from the allotments sites. Then only those with true garden ethic will be left leaving more plots for those with real commitment to good gardening.  Digging is a wasteful way killing weeds. the hoe,the scythe, machete,weed cloth,solarization and Hort vinegar is the key to killing unwanted weeds.
Now gardeners will have to do the work instead poisoning the ground.

The secret to keeping weeds in check is hoe often, don't let them get out of hand,the smaller they are easier they are to kill and the most important is weed a portion of the garden every day 1/7 of the plot a day or more without fail.

If the ground is not in use cover it with weed cloth or a heavy tarp. why weed when you don't have to.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 04:58:14 by thegreatgardener »

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 06:50:55 »
Hort vinegar?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 07:47:58 »
the most important is weed a portion of the garden every day 1/7 of the plot a day or more without fail.

Yeah, right! Wonder how many of us manage that ;)

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 07:55:37 »
Hi Ishard,  

Dont know what ' Hort ' vinegar is, but vinegar is used in parts of America - mixed with oils, to rid crops of broad leaved weeds. It is not approved of by the EU - as yet, so no commercial products are available.

Vinegar does work as a  ' weed killer ' , it was used years ago as a  ' kitchen cupboard ' remedy.
Our shop bought strengh is only 5% - not particularly strong enough me thinks.

Would be glad to hear of any other info from A4A on the subject.

I did google ' organic weedkiller ' and got sites mostly about vinegar which was interesting.

Also had a chat with another site - who pointed out that there can still be adverse effects from using
vinegar, some unknown  -  as the effects on earthworms for example
Hertfordshire,   south east England

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 08:09:41 »
Thanks Flossie  :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 08:29:33 »
I am glad when they ban it. Since without it the the weak and uncommitted gardeners with be removed from the allotments sites. Then only those with true garden ethic will be left leaving more plots for those with real commitment to good gardening.  Digging is a wasteful way killing weeds. the hoe,the scythe, machete,weed cloth,solarization and Hort vinegar is the key to killing unwanted weeds.
Now gardeners will have to do the work instead poisoning the ground.

The secret to keeping weeds in check is hoe often, don't let them get out of hand,the smaller they are easier they are to kill and the most important is weed a portion of the garden every day 1/7 of the plot a day or more without fail.

If the ground is not in use cover it with weed cloth or a heavy tarp. why weed when you don't have to.

What a load of b0ll0cks!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 09:01:13 »
I am glad when they ban it. Since without it the the weak and uncommitted gardeners with be removed from the allotments sites. Then only those with true garden ethic will be left leaving more plots for those with real commitment to good gardening. 

I am committed to my plot but there are still times when I may require to use the odd chemical and I have no qualms about this if the I feel the need arises.  Some of us do work 50hours + per week and have to work away from home occasionally.  Balancing full time work with family and allotment - just how does that make all of us who use chemicals weaker than those who do not?!  I most certainly am  not a weak and uncommitted gardener thankyou very much.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 10:06:43 »
the most important is weed a portion of the garden every day 1/7 of the plot a day or more without fail.

Yeah, right! Wonder how many of us manage that ;)
Not me, with the shifts i work sometimes i can go Severn day without putting a foot on my plot and like Ktlawson i bloody well am not uncommitted,so i second the reply by Ace.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal