Author Topic: Montbretia/Crocosmia  (Read 8863 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Montbretia/Crocosmia
« on: August 20, 2008, 22:20:44 »
I got a big bag full of these from a kind freecycler. They are in flower, so I'm wondering what's the best thing to do with them- plant them as they are and see if any of the flowers keep going or cut off the flowers before planting?

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
Re: Montbretia/Crocosmia
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 22:31:27 »
Personally I'd plant them as they are - hope you've got loads of room though they spread and spread and spread and spread  :)
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 22:44:16 »
and spread and spread.  good luck.  they are rogues btw.   Although I must say my crcosmia lucifer hasnt spread so much. 

;)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 22:55:36 »
Lucifer is a beauty!

I find crocosmia flourishes in the dark, dank areas where not much else wants to grow and in that kind of place doesn't become too invasive.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 22:58:43 »
Just plant them, they're indesctructible.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 23:29:42 »
Just plant them, they're indesctructible.

Which means that if you ever want to get rid of them - you can't  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
The Tuscan Beaneater

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 23:35:00 »
Not quite true. I got rid of them in my south facing Med type front garden over 5 years with constant weeding. ;D ;D 8)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 23:38:19 »
Five years must feel like forever  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Tuscan Beaneater

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 06:00:07 »
Grow them like you would mint. In a buried bucket.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:35:32 »
Only certain kinds are invasive. I grow Lucifer and its pretty well behaved. i also have a variety called 'Citronella' which is a lovely yellow (of course) and has been almost a shrinking violet.

i do have a couple of the more vigorous kinds, on of which I 'obtained' from a local waste recycling centre (the tip!), potting them up to start with then planting out. they havent thaken over yet, however in a clients garden they are growing absolutely everywhere so i will have to keep an eye on them.

The invasive kinds are Crocosmia x crocosmifolia, the original 'Montbretia'. rarely sold in garden centres and nurseries as they arent the best garden varieties. That freecycler clearly had too much and wanted rid!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:37:24 by Garden Apprentice »

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 09:52:52 »
well I love them! and having something that just keeps on growing is great in my garden, where the soil is like dust. if anyone ever wants to get rid of some, just let me know and I'll gladly take them off your hands for the cost of postage! ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 10:05:45 »
NL, i have lots you can have  i have sent you a PM Ok. ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 10:26:53 »
I was thinking of planting some of them on the allotment, so plenty of room, although the ones I've got in the garden haven't spread much- that's why I took these.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 19:17:25 »
I love them too! That fabulous splash of vibrant colour is just great.  I put them in places that couldn't have that level of beauty with anything else.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 07:56:30 »
I'm thinking of putting some of them in a narrow bed in front o my leylandii, but wonder if it will be too dry. Do they need a lot of moisture?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 16:08:38 »
No. They seem pretty tough!  Survivors.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 16:50:38 »
I can never grow them though.  I have lost count of the number of plants and bulbs I have bought of Montbretia and Crocosmia and they always die.  Probably to do with the soil here which is on chalk but the pH is 7, so not too high.   I used to have the same problems with Lily of the Valley but Lorna kindly gave me some last year and they are doing really well.   

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 17:25:27 »
Well, I've spread them around the garden this afternoon. If they do go mad, I can always freecycle them again!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 18:14:56 »
I can never grow them though.  I have lost count of the number of plants and bulbs I have bought of Montbretia and Crocosmia and they always die.  Probably to do with the soil here which is on chalk but the pH is 7, so not too high.   I used to have the same problems with Lily of the Valley but Lorna kindly gave me some last year and they are doing really well.   

My soil is chalk and mine do fine, so it cant really be the soil. I thought they grew anywhere?!

jamesmiddz

• Not So New ...
    • The Allotment Garden
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 21:04:56 »
I want my Crocosmia to spread - lovely plant. The flowers constrast well with the mid-green of the leaves - beautiful!

Even when not in flower, a good solid clump of crocosmia look very 'architectural'. The Lucifer variety is not as strong as the commonal garden varieties...which I think have recently been banded for sale in the UK due to there invasive nature.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal