Author Topic: Dwarf Fruit Trees  (Read 2657 times)

jo9919

Dwarf Fruit Trees
« on: August 17, 2008, 16:13:58 »
I would like to get a dwarf fruit tree. I don't have anywhere in the garden to plant it, but wondered if I could plant it in a half-barrel.

If so, which fruit would be best? I quite fancy a Cherry Tree. What type should I be looking for?

Thanks everyone.

Jo.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Dwarf Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:43:58 »
I think if you get any variety on dwarfing rootstock it will be ok. For cherries look out for Gisela 5 rootstock. There seems to be quite a bit of choice around (I was looking at them for planting in a small garden.)

People do say thought that you don't get as much fruit on them if they're in a container. But that's just to be expected.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'd like to try a peach tree in a container on our patio eventually. It sounds so exotic and I love peaches.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 15:54:49 »
Stella for a  cherry, this works well, the blossom is lovely, the fruit is good and cherries are very expensive in the shops.Possiblt a peach for the same reasons , I would then get a Peregrine, but keep away from the very small peach called Bonanza, sounds super when you read about it but it is very susceptible to disease. There is a new one that is supposed to be peach leaf curl free but not available very often.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 16:34:02 »
"Avalon Pride" was mentioned in my weekend paper as being a leaf curl resistant peach. (Meant to be available from Marshalls but I couldn't find it on their site, just at Dobies.)  Might not be on dwarf rootstock anyway.

http://www.dobies.co.uk/pd_481355_Peach_Avalon_Pride.htm

The other one mentioned was Harken  from Reads but I couldn't find it.

jo9919

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 17:14:54 »
Thanks for your replies.

The Stella cherry sounds good. Would I be ok planting it in a half barrel?

Also, when is the best time for me to buy and plant it?

Jo.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 10:48:02 »
Remember birds love love cherries you must protect it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 12:51:16 »
My one is in a pot about the same size as a half barrel. If you buy it container grown you can plant it anytime. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

jo9919

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 22:33:39 »
Thanks Jeannine. I'll look for container grown then. Does anyone have any recommendations for suppliers?

How soon can I expect cherries off it, and talking of protecting from the birds how do I do this? Obviously netting, but do I just drape it around the tree and when do I do this? When the cherries are forming?

Jo.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal