Author Topic: Agapanthus and the tricks to get them to flower  (Read 1450 times)

BockingBill

• Quarter Acre
Agapanthus and the tricks to get them to flower
« on: August 03, 2008, 14:55:48 »
Last year the agapanthus (kept in a clay pot) flowered really well (but early) in the greenhouse. This year not a sniff of a flower either when it was in the greenhouse or outside. We have watered it a couple of times with tomato feed but still no flowers.

Any ideas out there?

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
Re: Agapanthus and the tricks to get them to flower
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 15:30:21 »
Agapanthus like a rich soil and a warm sunny position during the growing season. I had the same problem with lack of flowers last year but have since followed RHS advice which seems to work:

- keep container grown plants in a cool, light position over winter, avoiding excessively wet or excessively dry conditions;
- warmth in winter may lead to early flowering but it will be of poor quality;
- in the growing season, water well and give container plants a liquid feed (e.g. seaweed solution) fortnightly until the flowers have developed;
- too much shade can lead to lush foliage at the expense of flowers: aim for good light for at least half the day and avoid dense shade under trees;
- divide every 4 to 6 years or when flowering appears to deteriorate, but be aware that dividing plants may lead to reduced flowering.

Setting seed does not appear to reduce flowering.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 15:34:16 by hopalong »
Keep Calm and Carry On

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 16:19:37 »
Hi!  I actually don't think that this year has been a good one for agapanthus!   Normally I have great success with them, flowers everywhere!  This year NO white ones came through, and only two of my blue with just a couple of flowers each! :-\

I think they are sulking ... just not enough heat from the sun !  :-X

Flo  :)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 15:06:17 »
Mine are planted in the garden in the sheltered right angle of east and south facing walls.

I could swear I bought the same number of blue and white bulbs, but this year there are 30+ white flower heads, and only one blue.  Last year I think I had two blue.  I also have a pygmy white variety, which has quite a lot of flowering heads on them.  They have been flowering well for quite a few years now.

I don't know what I'm doing right, but they seem to love it. ;D

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal