Author Topic: comfry  (Read 1579 times)

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
comfry
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:03:50 »
Hi I have taken over a different allotment this year and just about had it ready, thou I did get tatties and onions and couple of other bits in, my problem is comfry growing everywhere iv'e been cutting the leaves all summer problem coming up will be the depth of the root. I have been down a foot and the broken root is still an inch thick and is growing again. Anyone cured this problem before that can pass on a few tips its through all the beds even the strawberry. I realise hard work but any thing like roundup which I have used to no avail.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: comfry
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 14:18:44 »
I think you'll just have to treat it as a weed. The roots are so deep that it will almost certainly come back but you will have weakened it so just keep removing any new growth and you'll get there in the end. Where are you in Edinburgh?

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 16:15:40 »
hi grawrc i am at carrick knowe are you in the area?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 18:17:01 »
I'm at Westburn (Wester Hailes).

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 21:43:35 »
when you get as far down as you can, snap off the root, apply table salt to the wound. this also works for dock, dandelion etc, rgds, tony ;)
You couldn't make it up!

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 21:47:58 »
I also have the same problem with horseradish which has been on my plot since long before I took it over. No matter how deep I dig I have never been able to get all of the root up and it comes back every year. Any suggestions would be welcome.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal