Author Topic: ADVICE NEEDED  (Read 3140 times)

Dougie1

• Not So New ...
ADVICE NEEDED
« on: August 17, 2008, 20:16:43 »
Hiya guys as it seems on my allotment that theres many people more interested in what im doing than what they are doing, i was hoping for some advice.

I am planning on havin 12 chickens on my plot, the comittee are aware and ive been given full permission.

Does anyone here know weather there was a limit to how big my run is and how many chooks im allowed within the allotment rules??

your help would be most greatfull.

I have fenced in an area 3m x 6m and then 3m x 3m to house

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: ADVICE NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 23:19:14 »
Your committee/ the council should be able to tell you what is permitted. Allotment associations should have a constitution which sets out exactly what is allowed.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:47:22 »
We have no rules other than at the discretion of the committee... in the bye-laws.  :-\

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 17:36:11 »
Ah well we're not allowed livestock at all. Miserable sods!! ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 21:59:24 »
Hi, Dougie,
First off, you have permission! Good. That's step one. Second thing, and more important is ensuring your hens have enough ground to live in and be happy to feed off.
 Your 3X6 meters is way off for 12 chickens. I would consider that area enough for no more than 4 even with extra daily feed. The ground will be mud within the week unless you plan to move the enclosure on a regular basis so they have a new area to 'work.'
Ken.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:54:24 »
Hello Dougie!

First off, welcome to Lotties....there are a few of us living round about you, and I'm really pleased that you've found a compromise with the committee about your fence. Think advertising the spare panels on ebay, or at a set price in the free papers, might be the way to go?

Second, then, to your chooks...check out the 'Kept Animals' section here - loads of hen keepers there and I'm sure they'll all come in with good advice for you.

All the best,

Lishka

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:31:40 »
Hi Dougie

My run for my 12 chickens - 11 now as 1 at home!! is about the same.  Yes it is muddy - but I, and a lot of the other allotmenteers, feed them on loads of greens lettuces gone to seed spinach etc plus the greengrocers bits and pieces and they always have their layers mash/layers pellets and occasional corn.

I have one part where i put down woodchips which is less boggy than the other bit and I occasionally dig the other bit for worms!  (the excitement is excruciating!) which does dry it a bit.  But as they have their normal food (under cover) they are all happy as Larry!.

Obviously, in an ideal world, I would have more room for them - but they certainly have more room than each having the space of a sheet of A4 paper which they had before.  I am able to let mine out for a run as I am at the corner of the allotments so they have an occasional extra run!

Good luck with yours.  I really really enjoy my girls!

Old Bird

;D

Dougie1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 09:46:31 »
Thanks for the advice guys, ive just added another 3x3 square for the chooks so i hope this will suffice, as you say old bird thats much better than the room there used to. In fact it looks like a real big space for 12 chooks 6m x 3m + the added 3m x 3m, could i ask for more opinions on this please

thanks all

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 14:36:58 »
Hello Dougie! (I'm just back from your neck of the woods - Toys'r'Us!!)

Anyway, I'm still thinking that for more input from the chook keepers here,  ask the question again on 'Kept Animals'? It's a more frequented forum & I'm sure you'll get loads of input.

Regards, Lishka

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal