Author Topic: Lettuce problems  (Read 1306 times)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Lettuce problems
« on: August 16, 2008, 21:03:36 »
I have/had a bed of lettuce which were doing really well in a shady spot when the leaves started to wilt. I thought perhaps it was slugs or something eating the stems but when I pulled one up to look the roots were surrounded by white fungal growth - have pulled a few now and they are all the same.

I haven't ever had this before so haven't a clue as to what it may be - any ideas?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Lettuce problems
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 15:24:26 »
"Lettuce drop prefers cool moist conditions. The disease affects plants when they reach maturity and comes on suddenly casing the lettuce head to wilt and die. Under the dying plant is cottony white mycelium with hard small black sclerotia that look like mouse turds. It is caused by two fungii: S. minor which infects under drier conditions and S. sclerotiorum. Both diseases can survive in the soil as sclerotia for 2 - 3 years without a host Alternate hosts include: canola, potatoes, beans, and many weeds. The fungus infects the plant though dead tissue during conditions of free water on leaves. "

Possibly?

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Lettuce problems
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 21:40:23 »
Thanks Tim   ;D a star as usual.

I hadn't looked for the black bits - but went back tonight and yes they are there as well. So lettuce drop - will not grow lettuce in that corner for a bit. It was an onion bed over winter so will rotate for a couple of years away fro potatoes and beans as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal