Author Topic: What have I let myself in for?  (Read 7410 times)

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
What have I let myself in for?
« on: August 11, 2008, 00:01:13 »
Hiya....I'm just another newbie, but bright eyed an raring to go! I aquired an allotment for the pricely sum of a £1 about two weeks ago because it was SLIGHTLY overgrown...yeah right, it's a bramble jungle. It's based down at the Seeds Lane Allotments in Liverpool. So, am a Scouser before ya mention anythin about the typin (don't worry you'll be able to speak fluent Scouse by the time av finished coz i prefer to type like I talk, an am willin to translate if ya can't understand me  ;) )

I'm in a bit of a blind panic at the minute, an I blame Jamie oliver and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall for getting me interested. I've gone from growin a few tomatoes an courgettes at the bottom of a small garden to a 50 by 60 foot rain forrest. My initial fears of bein a newbie amongst established allotment owners have gone. I was scared of applying for a plot because I thought that there would be some snobbery or resentment towards a newbie. I couldn't have been more wrong! I've met some lovely, helpful and friendly people down at Seeds Lane. They're always willing to offer advice, invite me in for shelter during the rain and Bernie's tea and biscuits are a life saver.

Back to the blind panic....like i said, it's a bramble jungle. The plot's been empty for 16 years. I want to grow organically so I decided at the start not to use Roundup or any other weedkiller (you'll probably shout me down an tell me it's ok to use them but that's just the way I thought I'd go  :-\ ), so I got myself a pair of loppers and a couple of pairs of gloves and got to work. It's funny how quickly your friends go missing when ya tell them you've got an allotment but it's full of brambles. I ve tried to add a few pics at this point  ???

I can spell...I just prefer to type like I talk ;-) If ya need lessons in Scouse gimme a shout

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
Re: What have I let myself in for?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 00:11:00 »
K...that works  ;D

Back to all that hard work. i was scared of finding Trevor Jordash or a Japanese sniper somewhere in the thick of all the brambles, but the biggest shock was finding a shed after a day and a half that I didn't even know was there and a huge collapsed greenhouse!

I'm 2 weeks into it now and probably cleared about 85% of the top stuff. It's hard going whilst holding down a full time job, but all i keep thinking is allotment, allotment, allotment. Then there's "to raise a bed or not raise a bed...that is the question!"
I can spell...I just prefer to type like I talk ;-) If ya need lessons in Scouse gimme a shout

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 00:13:58 »
Welcome and congratulations on your new plot!  I think there are a few other scousers here so you won't be alone.

Don't panic about clearing the plot - you've got all winter and clearing is great for keeping warm.  If you clear a small area really quickly, it's not too late to get sowing - some fast growing salad stuff, chinese veg, maybe some late carrots, and it'll soon be time for garlic, broad beans etc.

I didn't use weedkiller either when I cleared my plot, I just dug away with a fork and picked the roots out and I had very little re-growth.  Little and often is the way to go.  If you can lop the tops off everything and cover it, it will weaken the growth so that digging is easier.

Ask away if you have any questions - there's usually an expert or two around.

PS - I hope you're harvesting the blackberries before you dig them up - lovely for jam and pies.

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 00:21:04 »
Thanks Ceres, but if I never see another blackberry again it will be too soon. My arms have been cut to shreds and av (I've for the non scousers  ;) ) found thorns in places I don't care to mention!

I think my goal at the minute is just to clear the thing and plan for next year. I know if I start trying to grow anything now I'll use it as an excuse for getting out of what needs doing.

Cheers
                        Scoobs

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 00:40:24 »
blimey scooby snacks,are you a fun loving crims fan?if so we need to talk!good luck with your plot honey!we got our plot this time last year and its great time of year to get it!good luck with clearing it,if ya need some help.let me know,ill be up for lending a hand
lisses rach x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 00:51:03 »
Hiya Rach...well if ya can get ur hands on some napalm it would be appreciated! As for Fun Lovin criminals...nah, scoobysnax is a long story  ;) Thanks for the offer of help though, I might just take ya up on the offer some day!

Cheers
                                       Scoobs x

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 01:05:11 »
 ;D

Well done on making a great start Scoobs, as has been said, little and often really works. Once you get the tops cut off and start digging cover what you have done with cardboard, weed supresssant etc and you will have a great start for next season.

Welcome to the wonderful world of lotties!

;)

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 01:17:40 »
OMG does that mean am a lottie!!! ha, suppose it sounds better than a plottie! I think I'm most looking forward to supplying me mum n dad all the veg for next years Christmas dinner, then I'll feel on top of the world.

Thanks Katy x

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:54:51 »
Hi Scoobs,  welcome.  You could make a quick buck if you rent your plot to a TV show for bush tucker trials I reckon. ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 08:19:25 »
Hi Scoobs welcome and good luck on your lottie , I know where your coming from I inherited not quite so many bramlbes, but for few weeks I arrived at work scratch to bits.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 08:42:42 »
just be careful there aren't any Japanese soldiers hiding in there that don't know the War is over

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 09:11:26 »
hiya, katy, nice to meet you  ;D
couple of scousers living in wigan here, know seeds lane well..
build a big bonfire and have a bonfire night party, at least the ash from your brambles is good for the soil  ;D
anyway, have a great time growing your veggies etc, only advice I have is make a paper plan and work out where your beds are going to be, then walk on the paths so your soil doesn't get compacted after digging stuff out  :)

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 09:42:13 »
Cool isnt it. Lottie / Plottie what the hey.

Got my plot in March 2008. i am also going for the christmas thing. We have now set target to provde whole dinner from lottie this year. Meat n' all.

i was very fortunate as I got a totally blank canvass. But I cant explain the feeling of eating something you have grown. Very satisfying.

So then, best of luck. Hope you enjoy.  ;D

Regards

F.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 10:01:39 »
Congrats on the plot. Don't stress too much. The important thing is to just work at a pace that is comfortable for you. Don't try to dig too much at once and cover up (or spray and cover up) what you are not working on. Try using a mattock to get the brambles out. Physically hard work, but it works! Our plot was in a similar state to yours and, although it is not how we want it yet, it is nearly under control. You can see how we progressed in our blog.

http://lottieplotfour.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 10:20:56 »
Katy

Best of luck to you!  I am sure that all the hard work will pay off in the end!

It is surprising how quickly a jungle like yours can be tamed!  It is very rewarding going up there and clearing a patch and seeing earth!

Keep us posted with lots of piccies!

Old Bird

;D

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 13:22:38 »
Where did the Katy come from lol...am Scoobs  ;)
Thanks for all the comments and good wishes though

"Scoobs"  ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 13:59:32 »

Thanks Katy x

Think people thought you were signing off as Katy rather than thanking Katynewbie  :)

gonz

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 15:27:20 »
Hiya Scoobs,  welcome to the site,

Its nice to have another Scouser on here (we live in Liverpool 17)  We only got our plot in Feb this year and were very keen to get anything growing!  We havent got it like we want it yet and are going to use the winter to clear everything that will be finished and re plan for next spring.    If you have any questions, there are so many people on here to help (not me, I still havent a clue!!).  Most of all, enjoy it!

Sam x

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 07:29:08 »
Yeah, I thought as much Barnowl  ;) Nice to meet ya Sam...is the weather any better in L17  ;D
Well I've posted a proper picture of "me Shed!", TBH I think the bramble thatched roof could catch on!

Scoobs

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 08:22:33 »
real des res, scoobysnax, looks like one I played in when I was a kid  ;D
seriously  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal