Author Topic: Pattypan  (Read 1656 times)

Isi

Pattypan
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:15:21 »
I bought pattison sunburst from lidl, big healthy plants with lots of flowers, but so far no fruits, flowers die and drop off. Its in the greenhouse, does anyone have any idea what im doing wrong?

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Pattypan
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 08:20:04 »
I bought exactly the same seeds as you and my plants are the same, no fruit yet, mine is outside which is the only difference.  I wonder if anyone else has any fruit yet.  My other varieties are busy producing.

I wonder if anyone else has grown the same seeds....

T.

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:22:03 »
Same thing happening to mine which is outdoors. I reckon it's lack of pollination. all flowers are hidden under masses of foliage. I'm going to get busy with a soft brush to see if it makes a difference.

Isi

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:22:59 »
i tried tickling them, it doesnt seem to make any difference, they still drop off.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 08:26:33 »
this is a comman problem with squash plants in the early growing period they will settle down so I'm told have had the same problem but have a few setting now . try to manually germinate it by taking the stemin from the male flower the long thin stem one the female flowers have the fruit under the flower ,open carefully by pulling back the petals and inside you will see the bud if you have a skewer (wooden ) insert very carefully in the middle and gently prise the bud a tiny bit to open enough for the male stemin thingy insert inside as far down as you can get it in without upsetting the female flower too much.
give it a giggle then take it out , close up the petals again and leave to grow this should solve the problem as well

the thing is you have to encourage bumble bees Ive noticed they seem to have less trouble pollinating them as bees

PS:-  be carefull the neighbours are not watching whilst doing this as they might grass you up to to the flower protection agency

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 08:36:07 »
yes  i bought the same seeds mine are fine now had a little trouble took some advice from suzanne and have mentioned on my last statment the best way to do it but sorry if i didnt get it a cross as she did it so much better sorry 

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 08:50:59 »
We grew them last year and never had one fruit so needless to say we haven't grown any this year
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 08:54:51 »
I had to give my butternut squash a giggle too!

Duke ;)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 09:08:30 »
Hi all,
           Bought the same seed (from LIDL) mine didn`t even germinate >:(

Adrian.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 09:28:26 »
Hi I bought the same seed all four germinated, gave away one kept three, and all after a slow start are fruiting nicely with at least 2 per plant per week over the last three/ four weeks, still with lots of fruit drop though. I have been hand pollinating 100%, as the bees population seems to be down this year plus the wet weather seems to affect the pollen once it gets wet so after hand pollinating on what appears will be a wet day I cover the pollinated flower with the petals of the male flower. The fruits taste great too :)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 11:22:45 »
Not wishing to gloat but....  I have Pattison Orange - I suspet they may be related, & they are outdoors and producing small fruits.  Maybe your variety isn't suitable for the UK climate?  My seeds were from Real Seeds & about 50% germinated.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 18:05:55 »
I have grown the lidl ones too this year... have managed to germinate and produce fruit, but not the shape on the packet
... more like a big ball with a long neck! have treid leaving them on the plant to see if they eventually reach the right shape, but to no avail... oh well
 ::)
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 18:19:04 »
Just been out and had a look and I have at last a couple of female flowers, as yet unopened.  I shall keep checking until I can go and as Duke says, give them a giggle! :)

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 19:49:58 »
Hi All
I have aready cut and eaten several squash, and sold a lot more. These include Pattypan, Pyjamas, Golden Hubbard, De Nice and Cream of the Crop. This weekend will be using the first of my Gem squash.
We keep bees on site and germination has not been a problem. My overall crop will not be good again this year, but that is due to the weather condition. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal