Author Topic: Have you tried this slug/snail deterrent?  (Read 16029 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Have you tried this slug/snail deterrent?
« on: August 09, 2008, 14:45:24 »
I've just read in a gardening magazine that dried lavender flowers and leaves sprinkled around plants is a successful slug/snail deterrent.  This is a new one on me but I think it's worth a try.  What do you think?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Have you tried this slug/snail deterrent?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 14:52:38 »
I think I'll try that, georgie..I've plenty of dried lavender flowers and just planted some lettuce, that'll be a test for them  ;D

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 14:54:51 »
Its a new one on me too!! Is it the fact that the lavendar once dried is rough to the feel of a slug and they dont like it ? or is it the scent.? Anytihing is worth trying. I read that bran was really successful around plants as slug protection. It got one of the highest marks in a trial.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 14:59:09 »
It wasn't made clear except to say that the slugs/snails didn't seem to like moving on it.  I'm assuming it's the oils because I've never seen a slug or snail on my Lavender plants.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 15:02:21 »
I think I'll try that, georgie..I've plenty of dried lavender flowers and just planted some lettuce, that'll be a test for them  ;D

Hi Manics.  Could you set up a little trial and let us know the results i.e. some protected and some not? 

G x

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 15:10:18 »
I'll try but there are only 6 lettuce and they're quite close to one another, I'll see if I can split them in half  :)
will do it tomorrow

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 15:15:51 »
I'll try but there are only 6 lettuce and they're quite close to one another, I'll see if I can split them in half  :)
will do it tomorrow

Awww thanks, that'll be great if it's not too much trouble.   :)

G x

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 15:42:34 »
Wow I will have to cut and dry my lavender out and give it a try.  Have tried beer but the slugs just took their girlfriends out for a drink and then a meal on my veg.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 16:03:50 »
Wow I will have to cut and dry my lavender out and give it a try.  Have tried beer but the slugs just took their girlfriends out for a drink and then a meal on my veg.

ROFL  ;D

G x

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 15:05:29 »
trial set up, don't have lots of trouble with slugs in the tunnel, too many frogs but will give it a go  ;D

FATBOYEXMARINE

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 15:49:24 »
i found out where good slugs go after they die ....my allotment they eat so much they must be in heaven ...wheres the pellets grrrrr

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 16:42:29 »
hiya, fatboyexmarine, welcome to the site  ;D
i think there's an epedemic of slugs and snails, took 7 from under 1 piece of netting today  :o

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 17:38:47 »
Great Manics, this should be interesting.  It struck me last night that if Lavender works then Rosemary might as well.  I'm going to try both next time I plant out something vulnerable.   :)

G x

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 18:28:01 »
well, we're away for 2 weeks from friday, maybe it'll protect them and I'll have some lettuce to pick when I'm back, the outside ones have been razed to the ground  :-\

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 18:41:14 »
Am gonna try it. I did put lavender oil down an ant run and it cleared them. You can learn something new every day
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

DAVIESFOZZIE

• Not So New ...
    • daviesfozzie
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 21:55:37 »
I am desperate for an affective eco friendly slugand snail killer. After finishing work at 1:30am i went out and killed 40 slugs did the same a week later. This was in addition to slug pelletts which i found attracted them but they then went on to eat my beans. I am told that they hate copper strips so i will try this on my raised beds

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 22:42:10 »
I have a book called "50 ways to kill a slug".   It's quite tongue in cheek but some of it's suggestions are quite useful.   At the moment I'm using the coffee approach.   I don't about the slugs but the cabbage whites have been conspicuous by their absence.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 17:49:10 »
Just to be clear I'm not out to kill slugs and snails, I just want to deter them from eating tender stuff.  On the whole I've got a pretty good balance in the garden now (after about three years of following organic principles) and I only kill anything as a last resort.  I haven't had any success with coffee grounds or copper tape as a barrier.

G x

olicat

• Quarter Acre
  • my back garden veg plot..
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 18:19:41 »
If slugs don't like rough surfaces, has any one tried sandpaper around plants, like a collar, No idea if would work, just thought about it....!!
It's the Good Life!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 18:56:21 »
 ???

Someone mentioned bran. I read that the way it works is that they eat the bran, it swells up inside them and they explode. Ho Hum...every cloud etc!

;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal