Author Topic: celery  (Read 1287 times)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
celery
« on: August 08, 2008, 14:37:22 »
Ok I am growing self-blanching celery which were started under cover and planted out when large enough to handle in late may, i have kept them well watered and fed with nettle & comfrey juice about once a week the soil is pretty rich and all the othe leafy veges in it have done well up till now. So my question is why are they not any taller than approx 8'' for the tallest is it still to early when does harvesting really occur. they are planted approx 10'' apart in two rows. Thanks in advance for the advice.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: celery
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 16:35:00 »
They look fine, there is plenty of time, but my advice is in three parts water, water and water!

They are bog plants and similarly celeriac appreciates the same treatment.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 23:30:33 »
Right i didn't realise they were bog plants by nature you learn something new every day. so would you suggest i wrap them in cardboard to encourage height or just leave them be, when would they normally be ready for harvest, i am guessing mid autumn is that right?

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 14:55:24 »
No need to do anything if they are self blanching. You should be eating them by the end of September

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 19:13:31 »
End of september, lovely, one more thing to not add to the grocery list in the autumn ;D
thanks for the advice, it was well appreciated :D

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 21:17:02 »
I'm doing trench celery fo rthe first time ever - from seed I got from a seed swap on here!  Mine are about the same size as yours.  Next door I've got the celeriac.  That always seems to take an age to get going, then one day you just find it romping away and the roots starting to swell.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 11:15:08 »
I plant mine  closer together than that: should I space them out more or  perhaps a bit of competition helps?

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 11:51:05 »
I'm doing trench celery fo rthe first time ever - from seed I got from a seed swap on here!  Mine are about the same size as yours.  Next door I've got the celeriac.  That always seems to take an age to get going, then one day you just find it romping away and the roots starting to swell.

i didn't realise they take so long to get going, at least i'll stop worrying now and just water lots as suggested.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal