Author Topic: help with fencing????????  (Read 2046 times)

brigitte

help with fencing????????
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:43:12 »
hi everyone. im new to this so bear with me!!!!!!! into my second week on new allotment at dane valley, margate, have managed to clear all weeds, brambles ect. (Feeling really proud of my self as i have done it all single handed) waiting for them to dry out to burn, carnt see that happening this week with all this rain coming but at least with all this rain it will soften the ground and i can start digging beds in. 
I have been searching internet for some cheap fencing, does any one know of any where, im just looking for basic chicken wire and posts to keep foxes out and mark bonderies. dont want to spend to much! Wickes do it but didnt know if any one knows if i can get it cheaper.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: help with fencing????????
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:46:04 »
Welcome to the site Brigitte...
Nowhere near Margate myself. You are allowed fencing? not all sites are. Are rabbits a problem? In which case Chicken wire is a good idea, otherwise just some boundary posts and Bright washing line will do...  :-\

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:47:13 »
It might be worth checking out agricultural supply merchants, something like  Kent Wool Growers in Ashford, but closer to you up in Thanet

brigitte

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 13:05:27 »
thanks. foxes seem to be main problem here.
havnt asked about fencing, it dosnt say not to in rules and every one else seems to have them. will try local agricultural suppliers, thanks.

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 13:31:20 »
Hi Brigitte

I've just taken on my first allotment, and had to fence it because there is a big rabbit problem on our site. I bought posts from a local timber merchant fairly cheaply and managed to get some chicken wire cheaply on ebay. If you search for chicken wire on ebay it should come up with quite a few options, some good value, some less so.

I know you've said you're most worried about foxes - I don't know what specific fencing requirements you need to keep them out, but for rabbits you'd need to bury the netting 30cm below ground (or so I was told!).

Good luck!

:)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 14:01:02 »
I think the usual advice is to bury the wire outwards rather than straight down.

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 14:02:54 »
hi brigitte, welcome to the site,
why not ask a thatcher for any old roof wire, they give it away when they do a new roof, and ask for the old straw, you can compost it, (look in your local phone book)
hope this helps :D
my allotment
heaven

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 14:21:00 »
I would also think to keep foxes out you would need it pretty high. Do you really need to keep out Foxes ? are you keeping chickens ? You could save a lot of money if you only fenced in your bed areas rather than the whole plot. Nice and secure. Rabits, i dug mine in the ground although I have heard a lot of people say about puting on the ground rather down into it.

brigitte

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 14:38:29 »
wow! brill this forum business for those days you cant get up allotment. so much gd advice.
thanks windygate, never thought of thatcher, any thing to save money.

their are a few established holders that have told me there are foxes and its the cubs that love to play and dig up stuff you've just planted.

haven't got as far as planting any thing yet so not desperate for fencing yet, looking ahead, will try to scrounge or resort to e-eay. thanks everyone. :o

Theplotthickens

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 22:34:46 »
I have seen foxes climb 6-8 feet of rabbit/deer fences so the wire will be a deterrent only, however by angling the top foot of fence at 45" angle outwards you can stop them at 4-6ft.

There are other methods, but I`m not sure if you are open to them, send me a message if you are.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 23:31:21 »
I guess you will be able to see whether you are allowed fencing by looking at some of the other plots. I got loads of old pallets for mine. I hammered poles in at the boundry edges and slotted the pallets on to them.Joining them up by nailing bits of spare wood accross the joins. Easily replaceable if they rot too. Look on your local freecycle site and put in a request for some. Obviously you would need to get some transport. I had rabbits eating my brassicas (sounds painful!) last year, but this year they must have gone to another lottie for their goodies. there are foxes around but never had any damage from them. I like the wildlife though and just accept a few losses. :)

scarecrow941

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 16:52:44 »
least the foxes keep the rabbits down
aging scarecrow

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 19:59:50 »
Sorry to say rabbit or chicken wire will not keep foxes out. Our keepers pheasent pens on the estate where I work have four feet tall rabbit netting with one foot turned out to stop rabbits, and above this another six foot of larger mesh wire, although he is now trying some nylon pheasant net on the top. To stop foxes climbing the top foot is left flopping outwards, and a single electric fox fence wire is put round the outside about ten inches from the ground and ten inches from the pen. For problem areas at night he has battery operated road flashing lights to deter them.

I guess you need to rabbit net to about three feet tall with the foot turned out at the bottom, but you will not keep the fox out if you have hens. Hens are best in something like a large fruit cage.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 11:19:57 »
Is it worth going to all that trouble for something that's unlikely to be no more than a minor nuisance at worst? I get foxes on my plot, and nothing's every been dug up. Wait and see.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 11:26:22 »
Same as Robert.  We have foxes and apart from the occasional pile of poo, they're not a problem.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal