Author Topic: Tree stump removal  (Read 1705 times)

Cruz

• Not So New ...
Tree stump removal
« on: August 07, 2008, 00:03:14 »
We have several plots which we can't give away because they have 9 inch diameter tree stumps on them. How can we cheaply get rid of these? I have heard of an A-frame device that it is said can lever them out. It involves a ratchet of some sort, but does it need a motor vehicle or just brute strength?
Any advice gratefully received!!

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
Re: Tree stump removal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 02:17:43 »
9  inches - a mere sapling.

Just dig around it and use a Mattock to cut any roots.

With luck the stump will sticking out of the ground by a foot or more, in which case, the use of a size 9 should persuade it to free up.

When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

bankieman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 06:16:43 »
Dead on there Slug Killer.Just a little bit of sweat using the best garden tool ever - the Mattock-absolutetely a must have tool for every gardener.If you ever have to get rid of really large stumps Cruz, bore lots of half-inch holes into the stump, fill with milk, plug, and a speeded up rotting process will begin - well, that's what I,ve been told??Anybody know if it works?

erbie

• Not So New ...
  • make a hole, stick it in and watch it grow!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 10:13:25 »
i agree with slug killer and bankieman on this one, although i have heard of the A frame for removing stumps. The A frame is basically put right over the stump, tied to it with a strap and ratchet (like the ones used on lorries to secure tarps) and tighten by hand.
If the stump is still alive there is this chemical you can buy from a good hardware/garden centre witch you can paint on the stump and it kills it and aids rapid rotting.
I have never heard of the milk method bankieman, sounds very feasible, i imagine it would work, i have heard of milk being sprayed on tree trunks to aid fungal growth and spraying milk on new brickwork to get a quick weathered look!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 20:22:51 »
I'd hire a team of Eastern Europeans. A shovel each and £5 a day. Problem sorted.

Theplotthickens

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 20:32:18 »
I presume the stumps are old ?

If so bore holes into the stumps (20mm+) and burn them out.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 21:56:25 »
Just dig them out. 30-40 mins max. Dig a trench all the way round chopping through roots as they become exposed. For a stump of that size a 7lb axe and a 5' crowbar are the ideal tools plus the spade.

Eeezee.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 22:10:23 »
A chain and a 5 ton trolley-jack has been known to be useful! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Cruz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 23:16:59 »
Thanks for all the feedback.
We originally got in groups of young offenders from the Community Service arm of the Probation Service to clear the plots in question of trees and brambles. That went fine. When we asked them to dig out the stumps, this proved too onerous. They dug a hole around the roots and then gave up.
This afternoon, taking some of the advice above, I dug a hole around one of the stumps, sliced through the roots with my spade and then stuck a long piece of wrought iron underneath and levered upwards. Voila! Out came one root. I then went back to the stump the CS boys couldn't move. Did some more digging and slicing of roots, used the lever and out came the stump. By my reckoning, it need take no more than 15 minutes to get these out. Quite why young offenders find it so hard is anybody's guess! They love using the brush cutter, because it requires no effort. Put a spade or fork in their hands and they have endless cigarette breaks....
Sound familiar?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 23:31:21 »
It does sound familiar,I love my ciggie breaks.If no one is watching I like to work with it in my mouth like Andy cap.Wish I had some young offenders to come and do my hard graft ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal