Author Topic: Dahlia`s  (Read 1346 times)

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
Dahlia`s
« on: August 01, 2008, 21:19:54 »
Does anyone know whats up with my Dahlia`s, They only last for about 1 day in water in a vase at home.  I have grown them for 5years now and never had this problem before. Iam watering them as much as I can but I have over 50 plants so its no mean feat. :(

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Dahlia`s
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 18:53:24 »
Oh dear.  I think the problem is an 'air lock' from when you pick them to when you put them in water.

A florists' tip that my dad used to use (he grew dahlias to sell as cut flowers) was to dip the ends of the stems in a pan of boiling water.  You would see the bubbles coming out of the stems, and when they stopped, you would put the flowers in the cold water they were to be arranged in.

I know it sounds daft, but it worked. ;D

valmarg

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:10:43 »
Cheers Valmarg, I will try that.  I must have hundreds of flowers and want to sell them on our charity stall, but felt a bit worried if they wilted as soon as they got them home.   :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 19:41:20 »
Sorry Orelse, I should mention he bunched them up before giving them the treatment.  He didn't do one plant at a time. ;D

valmarg

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 20:07:29 »
Cut flowers last longer if you cut them again while they are held under water - stops the air getting in which prevents the water getting up. Still - i would have thought even without this they should last more than one day...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal