Author Topic: Watering plants in greenhouse  (Read 2177 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Watering plants in greenhouse
« on: August 02, 2008, 12:47:52 »
I am now reviewing my watering system in the greenhouse because when I was away on holiday the plants were dry at the back.  This is because water from the sprinkler was prevented from getting to them by the foliage on the plants at the front. 

I have drip feeders I could use but doubt they would give enough water for the tomatoes and cues.  I would probably have to put 4 in a pot and that would mean using quite a few.  Would the water reach those at the end of the line anyway?   I also have some seep hoses which might be a better option but they are not very flexible and it may be difficult to lay them on the pots.  I have been looking at  spray nozzles M5 on this site but would prefer to water from soil level rather than from above. http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/category/WATER%5FMAINSFED.htm

Your suggestions would be very welcome please.  I have about sixty plants in my greenhouse, all in pots.  I am going to be away for almost three weeks.  My son will be here to keep an eye on things but he is not that reliable and I would rather he concentrated on looking after the chickens than have to worry about the greenhouse.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Watering plants in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 20:51:54 »
spray nozzles are fine until they block up! the seep hose would be a better option. another option is to surround the area with a low wall, then flood 2 or 3 times a week. rgds, tony ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 10:47:23 »
Thanks for your help Tony.

I am going to shift around the plants today and have a go at laying seep hoses on them.  I have found a couple of old flexible ones in my shed but both have lost their end connectors.  I will see if I can fix them as I think they will be better than the new rigid seep hoses that I bought last week.

The greenhouse has soil covered in weed suppressant and a concrete path down the middle so flooding the area would not be possible.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:42:47 »
We were away one week and I set a seep hose across the tops of some pots which wasted water but did take care of their needs. (this was not in a greenhouse)  I hope you get something to work so you don't worry your whole vacation about your babies like I do ;D
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:04:35 »
Grannie Annie

Did you have the seep hose on a timer and if so how long did you have it on for? 

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:45:51 »
Grannie Annie

Did you have the seep hose on a timer and if so how long did you have it on for? 
The timer setting was a complete stab in the dark because it was outside, temps were to be about 32 C. some days and one never knows if the rain will materialize so it was set for 45 min once a day and I held my breath.
Everything did fine ( there was some good rain one day I heard) which may have made the difference. Also it depends how full you turn on the water faucet...lots of variables. I hope you get to try out your watering system before leaving on vacation.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 12:21:16 »
Thanks Grannie Annie

Fortunately our long trip is not until the end of the month.  We are, however, going away for six days on Wednesday so it will be a chance to try it out.  I will probably have it timed for 45 minutes twice a day as it is in the greenhouse and yours was outside.  However, I don't think it will reach 32°C here as the forecast is not very good.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal