Author Topic: Vaseline and Fruit Trees  (Read 11222 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Vaseline and Fruit Trees
« on: August 09, 2004, 21:37:03 »
A few years ago I used to put a vaseline ring around the trunk of my fruit trees (apple and pear) because I had read somewhere that it stops some sort of pest from climbing up into the tree. But for the life of me I can't remember what, and I can't remember when this was meant to be done. Something tells me it was to do with caterpillars but I'm not sure if that's right. But if it is caterpillars that I'm thinking of then am I too late, I've got loads in the garden at the moment.  I know I should be doing this but can't remember when and why.

Oh dear, should this have been in pests and diseases or the basics? Sorry if it's in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 21:43:15 by Jesseveve »
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Hugh_Jones

Re:Vaseline and Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 22:00:14 »
When I first saw the heading I thought you were telling us about your method of squeezing large pears into small-necked jars.

What you describe is simply the old method of "Grease Banding", which is intended to prevent various creepy crawlies from climbing the trunks of fruit trees in winter and early spring.  Rather than applying the vaseline directly to the bark of the tree, it is best applied to a wide band of hessian or cloth which is then secured fairly tightly around the trunk about 3 feet from the ground - this being done in late autumn.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 22:22:22 »
Great to know I'm not too late then. Thanks for the idea of putting it on a band of hessian. Would this method help to reduce aphid numbers or would they arrive anyway without the ants?
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 22:33:59 »
Sorry. It would make absolutely no difference to the aphids. The overwintering aphids are winged and can simply fly to an accomodating host plant in spring before giving birth to their multitudes.  However, if your fruit trees have many aphids (which can, of course, overwinter quite happily in all the cracks and crevices of the bark) the best treatment is a tar oil winter wash, or whatever substitute our enlightened Commissars of the European First Reich now permit us to use.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 22:35:57 »
I should imagine it would help reduce the aphids, but I don't suppose it would stop the little winged critters altogether.  I believe it is to stop a type of moth, could be wrong here.....I am sure that the female moth can't fly....am I barking up totally the wrong fruit tree here....and she climbs the tree and lays her eggs in the developing fruit/blossom buds.  So the greaseband stops her in her tracks.   ??? ??? ???

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 22:59:25 »
Correct, EJ.  The main culprit for which grease bands are used is the Winter Moth - the females of which cannot fly and are therefore condemned to crawling - but, of course, there are various other  less devastating insects which are caught.  The Winter Moth should not be confused with the Codling Moth, the caterpillars of which climb the trees in June and July. These are best prevented by using strips of sacking or haybands around the trunks about a foot or so above ground level during those two months, after which they should be removed and burnt.

I should also have added to my previous answer that the hessian or cloth bands should be at least 10 inches wide to be effective, and, of course, it is necessary to renew the grease (or vaseline) periodically throughout the winter until the bands are removed in May.  Please also remember that if the tree is staked it is necessary to treat the stake as well to prevent the moths bypassing the bands.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal