Author Topic: Looking for a passata maker?  (Read 19573 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Looking for a passata maker?
« on: July 31, 2008, 22:10:12 »
Two years ago I bought a passata maker from Seeds of Italy for £25 + P+P.  A month or two later I saw the exact same model advertised in the Temps L. home shopper catalogue for £15.90 + £4.99 P+P and could have kicked myself.

This tomato press is again in their current catalogue for the same price. Item Ref. is 6621 and can be ordered online at www.tempsl.co.uk. I have bought other items from them and have never had any problems.

Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get blight again this year!

Tricia

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Looking for a passata maker?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 22:42:13 »
 :-\

Doncha just hate it when that happens? I make it a rule to never look at anything once I have bought it (if you see what I mean) but OH looks and points out the error of my ways Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

;)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:33:48 »
Tricia is this what Temps call "Tomato Press"?  :-[ sorry if that sounds a stupid question!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 15:04:14 »
Yes it is the same one XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:06:05 »
I know this is an old thread but I am intrigued, does this gadget do something a blender doesn't? We use a lot of chopped tomato/passata, so this sounds interesting!
Jackie

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:06:14 »
I have one of the passata machines in question. Unlike a liquidiser it removes skin and seeds - but I find that you have to feed the pulp back through a couple of times.

If you make a lot of passata you might need something a bit bigger or an electric one.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 11:11:36 »

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 11:16:22 »
I've found just the thing  :)

http://www.subito.it/macchina-per-la-passata-di-pomodoro-bologna-5447858.htm

Barnowl, are you encouraging my hubby to place me in the compost bin on apermanent basis :)
Jackie

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:06:50 »
Perish the thought  :)

For those with Kenwoods I've just found this - might be worth a look. Meant to separate off the skin and seeds.  Seems to cost around £20

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en/Products/Kitchen-Machines/Attachments/AT992A/

In Italy they call this attachment a "Passapomodoro"

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 13:16:47 »
Same as Seeds of Italy (the model I have)  but higher postage cost I think.

There are some great looking machines on Italian sites (google spremidoro or spremidoro a mano or passapomodoro) but having trouble finding anything similar in the UK or even a more substantial manually operated one.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 15:06:38 »
One of the most popular electric passata makers is the 'Spremy Electric Tomato Strainer' manufactured by Imperia. It will process 100kg of tomatoes an hour separating all the seeds & pulp as it goes along. There are 2 optional accessories 1 to turn it into an electric mincer the other to turn it into an electric grater.
The bad news is they cost around £180 & you have to order them from Italy which means £14 delivery on top of that. If you want a UK plug rather than an EU one then you have to request it at the time of ordering or simply replace it yourself when it arrives.
http://www.bella-italia.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/gondola/kitchenware/index11.shtml?L+gondola+trip7529+1239911133

A more solidly built manual passata maker is the 'Roma Food and Vegetable Strainer' again not for sale in the UK but overstock.com ships internationally. They charge £46.76 + tax + postage.
http://www.overstock.com/Restaurant-Supplies/Roma-Food-and-Vegetable-Strainer/3943257/product.html?cid=133635

A mouli also works for making passata.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 15:26:52 »
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 15:31:58 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 15:52:48 »
Thanks, but have never been a fan of moulis, although they are much beloved of the Cordon Bleu ladies and produce a great result don't you think they take ages  :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 15:58:32 »
One of the most popular electric passata makers is the 'Spremy Electric Tomato Strainer' manufactured by Imperia. It will process 100kg of tomatoes an hour separating all the seeds & pulp as it goes along. There are 2 optional accessories 1 to turn it into an electric mincer the other to turn it into an electric grater.
The bad news is they cost around £180 & you have to order them from Italy which means £14 delivery on top of that. If you want a UK plug rather than an EU one then you have to request it at the time of ordering or simply replace it yourself when it arrives.
http://www.bella-italia.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/gondola/kitchenware/index11.shtml?L+gondola+trip7529+1239911133
/3943257/product.html?cid=133635

1/4 horsepower? I want one!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 16:10:33 »
Thanks, but have never been a fan of moulis, although they are much beloved of the Cordon Bleu ladies and produce a great result don't you think they take ages  :)

Well so far I have been squishing them through a sieve with a spoon for the last two years crop so a mouli would be a godsend! ;D
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 16:27:41 »
One of the most popular electric passata makers is the 'Spremy Electric Tomato Strainer' manufactured by Imperia.....

1/4 horsepower? I want one!

After using one last year I want one too but I can't justify the cost.

123b

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 15:19:32 »
I bought the Lakeland one for around £14 last week.
I was going to wait until we had some of our own tomatoes, but this morning I saw a 6Kg tray of tomatoes for £2.50.
I have just put them all through the passata maker, and already decided that next time I will put the 'waste' through another 3 or 4 times!
Problem is, I thought I had loads of bottles, but I only have one and can't find the lid to that, so I am thinking about putting it in wine bottles.
Can anyone see a problem about putting it in wine bottles?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal