Author Topic: Hushwa..  (Read 4382 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
Hushwa..
« on: August 09, 2004, 13:00:25 »
Not really sure where exactly this originates from but my nan used to cook this... She was a Jew from India and her parents were Iraqi Jews so I believe this is most probably something that originates from there... I dont exactly cook it the same way as she did!  She used to skin the chicken and stuff the skin with the ingredients and sow it up and cook in the over for about 5 hours.. I tried it once and got into all sorts of mess so I put the whole chicken in the pot and put ingredients straight in and around it..

This dish is great served with fresh salad and lime or mango pickle..Nearest thing you may have tried to it is a Biriyani in the curry house..

Ingredients

1 Medium chicken
1 - 2 large handful of fresh parsley rough chopped
10 Medium tomatoes diced
1 tin whole tomatoes
2 Mugs of Basmati rice soaked in cold water for 30 minutes.
6 finger chilis finely chopped (Personal preference)
3 large cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 small to medium onions chopped
2 table spoons of curry powder
2-3 teapoons of Tom puree
2 Mugs of veg or chicken stock

After the rice has been washed place in a large mixing bowl and add all the other ingredients apart from the chicken... Mix through and leave to rest whilst you prepare chicken..

I dont wash chicken as I think it is a recipe to spread bacteria around the kitchen... You will need a large saucpan to accomodate the chicken and rest of ingredients...Not sure what there called but lets say a big one...

Cover the bottom of saucpan in Oil and add a large thingy of butter..Heat and put the chicken in whole,, Careful because this will spit..Turn the chicken over to  Brown the skin all over make sure the chicken ends breast up..!  Then add all the ingredients also making sure to fill the cavity of the chicken...Top up with stock until the level is just below the breast of the chicken and leave on hob until mixture starts to bubble..  Then put into the oven on about 150 to 160 degrees for about 4 to 5 hours...  You will find this the best tasting rice dish you have ever cooked. ALl the chicken juices will have been absorbed and tastes fantastic.. As you scoop the rice the chicken will fall off the bone too..Hope I have made sense!  I make it regular but not as easy when you have to try and describe in words..

Ads ::)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Hushwa..
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 13:45:10 »
Must try - love slow cooking. = Tim

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 18:00:38 »
Oh got all the ingredients, I might do this instead of paella tomorrow night, thank you for posting this Ad, it sounds lovely! DM
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 18:08:46 »
I just hope you agree how nice it is... You wont kill me if its not as good as I say now will you? :-[

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 18:20:49 »
Where do you live?????  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
So I know where to send the boys round to!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal