Author Topic: Anchor Spreadable Butter  (Read 28819 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Anchor Spreadable Butter
« on: July 29, 2008, 17:32:31 »
Has anyone used this for cake baking? I have used it twice in the past two weeks and have got a really poor result making muffins and a chocolate cake!
Its states on the packet that it is suitable for baking. I know that it is mixed with a vegetable oil but I am getting a very soggy result when baking with it!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Anchor Spreadable Butter
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 18:32:50 »
If you try and bake with hydrogenated muck, what other result were you expecting ??? Why not use the real thing (BUTTER)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 20:08:55 »
Thanks Asbean for being direct  :P:)

Duke

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 20:16:28 »
sorry, Dukie, that's the way I am  ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 21:16:17 »
I am very pleased with the results that I am getting using liquid vegetable oil, instead of other solid and unhealthy fats.
You will find some recipes on my web site.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 21:34:10 »
The problem with veg oil is that if you buy from the supermarkets (grrrr) you are likely to get low grade highly refined oil, without knowing what "vegetable" it comes from - probably palm oil kernels - highly saturated.  Better to get "cold pressed" (as in olive oil). Or sunflower oil.

The Tuscan Beaneater

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 22:29:32 »
I ALWAYS, use Flora, for my baking, you know the one we have on the table.
Never had any complaints yet, it makes lovely fruit cakes & pastry.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 22:32:31 »
I think I am right in saying it doesn't matter what oil you buy, if you are going to cook with it, chemical changes take place and it is all bad for you, even the best olive oil.

Olive oil is only good for you so long as it is not heated.

So you might as well cook with spreadable, veg oil etc, whatever gives you the best results.

Sinbad

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 22:37:08 »
Thanks everyone!! will be trying either sunflower oil or straight real butter ! Asbean I like the way you are  ;) I wasn't offended!

Realfood ~you have a nice www!!

Duke

lewic

• Hectare
Re: Anchor Spreadable Butter - Flourless chocolate cake
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 22:38:58 »
Never had a problem with spreadable butter. I substituted it in this recipe and the cake was gorgeous!! Gluten-free too. Is very runny before its cooked, but dont be tempted to add flour to thicken it. I poured some rum over the top when it came out of the oven for good measure
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flourless chocolate cake

Ingredients
Serves 6

Prep: 20 min
Cook: 50 min

200g dark, bitter chocolate
1 tbsp strong espresso coffee
1 tbsp rum or brandy
150g caster sugar
150g butter
100g ground almonds
5 eggs, separated
Icing sugar for dusting

METHOD

Melt the chocolate, coffee, rum or brandy, sugar and butter in a bowl sitting in a pot of barely simmering water. Remove from the heat and stir until well mixed.

Add the ground almonds and mix well. Beat in the egg yolks, one by one.

Beat the egg whites until stiff and peaky, and stir a couple of spoonfuls into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, before gently folding in the rest.

Turn into a buttered and floured 20cm (8in) round or square cake tin and bake at 180C/Gas 4 for 40 to 50 minutes (less if you like it fudgey, more if you like it cakey).

Leave to cool before removing gently from the tin, and dust with icing sugar to serve.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 22:44:03 »
That choclate cake recipes looks really good ~ I will try it next weeks thanks for the recipe Lewic ;D

Duke

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 19:39:16 »
Yes, you have to check the bottle to see the % of saturated fat. I use rapeseed oil which has only 7% saturated fat.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 13:50:37 »
I think I am right in saying it doesn't matter what oil you buy, if you are going to cook with it, chemical changes take place and it is all bad for you, even the best olive oil.

Olive oil is only good for you so long as it is not heated.

So you might as well cook with spreadable, veg oil etc, whatever gives you the best results.

Sinbad

That's not my understanding at all. Olive oil has a fairly low smoke point compared to most animal fats, so if you're frying, it is possibly unwise as partially burnt oil is carcinogenic. An oil such as goose fat (or lard) has a much higher smoke point, so is safer for frying or roasting, but does of course contain much more saturated fat.

As a rule of thumb, if it's going to have dark brown bits (i.e. if the Maillard reaction is taking place), best to use animal fat. If you're not browning, best to use vegetable oil, as asbean says, that has been extracted in a healthy way.

Oh, butter has the lowest smoke point of all I think, but of course it also has the best taste...

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 18:19:08 »
If you try and bake with hydrogenated muck, what other result were you expecting ??? Why not use the real thing (BUTTER)

Butter is undoubtedly best for taste.

But the reason that the butter/oil mixture doesn't work so well is that the oil is insufficiently hydrogenated.

Good cake and pastry fats need to be hard, not soft.  You can still get Stork margarine in blocks.  Tomor kosher margarine is good too.  There's nothing inherently unhealthy about hardening fats by hydrogenation.

You can also use 100% fats like Trex (or deodorised lard), but make allowance in the amount you use.  Butter and margarine are ~ 80% fat, 20% water, so you'll need a fifth less as explained here http://www.pura.co.uk/speciality.asp

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 18:44:51 »
This is interesting - I decided to try and be healthy and make shortbread with Anchor lighter spreadable but the result was 'soggy' shortbread, I was really disappointed.  I decided it was best to just make it less often, but just like you Duke I had read it on the packet. 

Maybe they have some recipes that it is suitable for, I might try and follow that up with the manufacturers when I have more time.  I keep trying to be a bit more healthy.... ???

Lewic your chocolate cake recipe sounds wonderful, hmmmmm

T.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 19:24:11 »
After three attempts I am now convinced its best to use either regular marg or real butter. I also noticed that the cake does not keep well using spreadable butter....the cake turns into a gooey mess! When I cut the chocolate cake you could actually see strings of goo!

Duke

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 01:08:30 »
If yiou are using Anchor spreadable it is a blend of butter and oil. but Anchor LIGHT spreadable has water whipped into it to reduce the calorie content, that is why is goes soggy on toast. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 06:23:35 »
I was told that the difference between these low fat spreads and plastic is one step in the processing.   

I have always used butter up for all my cooking until recently when I've started experimenting with tofu.   I have got some lovely dishes out of it and managed to sneak them past my dad without him noticing.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 07:08:25 »
I still say you should try Flora.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 14:22:01 »
Miss Rosebud ~ I am buying some Flora today :)
I will let you know how I get on with it

Duke

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal