Author Topic: Car lube?  (Read 1141 times)

silly billy

• Acre
Car lube?
« on: July 28, 2008, 13:04:26 »
When you have your car serviced they use a substance on the hinges etc that leaves a white residue. Does anyone know what it is? I think it may be white grease but I am not 100% certain. One of my hinges is creaking  :o :o :o.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Car lube?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 13:10:14 »
vasaline would do the trick without getting you all dirty. wd 40 would also do it temporary but will wash out anthing else that is in the hinge and you would be back to sqeaky hinges in no time.

As  temporary fix why don't you use one of the other doors ;)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 13:10:45 »
My knees are creaking....old age.....do you think the white stuff will help  ;) ;D

Dont know what its called but I have it on my car door hinges too.Would WD40 work as a temporary measure?
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 13:11:32 »
As  temporary fix why don't you use one of the other doors ;)

;D ;D ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 13:47:45 »
It is white lithium grease.

WD-40 is not adequate silicone sprays do work but are so thin that they just run off within a few days, leaving the moving parts dry. Any type of grease should work, but white lithium grease in a spray can is usually the most convenient to apply.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 15:51:16 »
Thanks for the replies and thanks Baccy Man.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal