Author Topic: HELP _ URGENT!!  (Read 3762 times)

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
HELP _ URGENT!!
« on: August 09, 2004, 11:32:34 »
Can anybody help my daughter out please?

She bought a dog from the cat and dog home about a fortnight ago and it's taken to sleeping in its basket at the foot of her bed.
Now, the problem is that when it wakes up it starts chewing the wallpaper!! As soon as she hears it doing this she gets up and distracts it. However, she can't get back into bed as it just starts again. Her sleep is becoming almost non-existant and it's wearing her down. Any solution or advice you can give her?
The dog is around 4-5 months old and is female.

Thanks.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re:HELP _ URGENT!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 11:48:36 »
Eileen, make up a solution of something bitter and spray it onto the wallpaper where the puppy is chewing. Or physically block the area where it is chewing. Also provide the puppy with something ejoyable to chew on as a replacement. What you want to do is encourage the puppy to divert it's chewing habits from an unacceptable place to somewhere that is acceptable. Puppies love to chew, especially when they're bored and waiting for owner to give them some attention!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 13:25:38 »
Hi Eileen

Best investment I made was lots of toys for my dog when she was a pup. Her favorite ones are of the stuffed toy variety and I have bought quite a few from car boots as they are really cheap then and it doesnt matter what state they end up in. They like these because they give comfort when they are young and also they are soft and chewy.

As your daughters dog is getting to that tooth age when they want to eat everything the gums ache and this is another reason that the pup is eating everything as it is looking for some relief. Try giving the pup some ice cubes (sounds nuts I know) this will help or a rubber toy that is cool.

Your local pet shop will do a spray for particular areas around the home but do take advice, the last thing a puppy needs is lots of nasty smells making life uncomftable as this will keep the dog awake more often than not.

The only other piece of advice that I found worked with my dog was try to walk her as late as possible for a reasonable distance - not to over walk her but to wear her out, not that far when they are pups! - then you should at least get a few hours sleep!

Good luck

Sam

"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 14:37:15 »
Thanks Jess and Sam for your advice. I 'phoned Laura and read your messages out to her. She's going to get back to me once she's been to the pet shop to see what they have on offer. Trix (the puppy) has sooooo many toys already that I think she's doing it for attention. Obviously she's bored when she wakes up and wants Laura to be awake and ready to play. Mind you she is teething so she's got some nice cool toys that are kept in the fridge to help with that. Fingers crossed I'll be able to get back to you soon with some good news.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Pixie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 16:11:07 »
I know what its like :) my Jess was awake with the lark when she was a pup it was not unheard of us getting up at 4.30 when the sun rose walking her for half an hour to tire her out and going back to bed for another hour! ::)

Lickle monster!!!

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 16:42:51 »
I just get this horrible feeling  Sam that there's going to be a 'phone call soon saying something like - "Mum, how would you like to puppy sit..........."

My answer: NO CHANCE!!!!!!!!

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Pixie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 17:21:24 »
Well at least its a dog and not triplets ;)

Then you really would be pulling your hair out!

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 18:49:54 »
Most puppies want to chew Eileen, it is unusual to find one that doesn't.  We found that investing in a cage for the pup to go into at night was the best thing we have done.  If you buy it when it first comes to live with you and let it go into the cage, just at night, it gets to regard that as it's own little space and gives you a good night's sleep without worrying what it is getting up to.  

We put blankets and a couple of toys at one end of the cage and some newspaper at the other end (just in case of little accidents at night).  We put the cage in our bedroom so that the pup was with us and during the day we transferred it to the lounge with the cage door open so the pup could go in and out.  We found it really useful to put the pup in so that it could have a bit of peace and quiet from the older dog.

It's surprising how soon puppies get used to a routine and we had to 'wean' our pup off of his cage as he got a bit older and introduced a more 'grown up dog bed'.

We found that the cage was the best thing we have ever purchased.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 21:19:37 »
My mum eventually got another puppy at christmas after her last dog passed away about six months before.

They bought one of those large wire cages, primarily to transport Tess around in the car, but it is set up in the kitchen with her bed in it. It functions as a bedroom & somewhere to put her to calm down when she's getting a bit out of control! She has developed a habit of going and putting herself in there if she misbehaves!

Does seem to work to calm her down though - kind of like a time out corner would with kids.

Me I stick to guinea pigs - they're much easier to deal with  ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 23:44:58 »
Eileen my Jacqueline bought a puppy recently , the vet advised a spray to stop him chewing things seems to work . Most good pet shops.

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 00:40:01 »
Thanks everybody for the advice. Laura is checking out e.bay to see if they have a puppy pen - if not she's going to advertise for one in the local newspaper. She can't actually afford a new one but I've told her if she does pick up a secondhand one to ensure that it's thoroughly cleaned before she puts Trix in it just to be on the safe side.. Meanwhile she's bought lots of 'chewy toys' for her in the hope that she'll prefer them instead of the walls.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 11:31:21 »
Would agree with using a cage as these can control a boisterous,destructive or "not quite house trained" puppy.

The doggie toys made by Kong are absolutely brilliant due to them being almost indestructible and can push small treats inside which keeps them amused for hours.I found the anti chew sprays did nothing at all,infact my dog when a pup used to lick the stuff off the door frame (he particularly liked chewing door archatraves etc).In the end,i had to wedge tool boxes,socket set against these to stop him getting to them!

A final note;A friends Bull Mastiff almost choked on one of them rawhide things.It managed to chew a lump off and swallowed it.The piece got stuck in throat and dog started to choke.He ended up putting his hand inside and pulling the lump out.They do keep dogs amused,but i wont give them to mine because of the choking risk.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 12:23:13 »
Quite agree Bubble about the rawhide. I've already told Laura it's a no-no!! The number of dogs that get a gloopy white lump of the stuff stuck in their throats is unbelievable!! It's not always easy to remove either as it is sooooo slippery.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 19:41:21 »
Hi Eileen,

Agree about the dog cage,neighbour does puppy raising for guide dogs and swears by them.

For a second hand one try Adtrader.co.uk,put in your postcode and there are some in the area for sale if you then go to pets accessories.

Good luck.Your daughter could try for her area.At least you know the price you will pay and can see it first.

Toots

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 19:51:26 »
Thanks Toots I will try Adtrader and pass it on to Laura as well!!

Also thanks to everyone else for their tips and advice. Pat I will PM you.

Eileen.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 20:25:22 by eileen »

EILEEN.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 23:49:08 »
On a cheap and recycling temporary basis this may not seem as silly as it sounds. :D Borrow a supermarket trolley and turn it upside down, if that’s not big enough borrow two, :-\ turn upside down, push the baby seat out on both and put the trolleys end to end tie if necessary. Walla...one larger doggy cage. Return trolleys after use. ;)

Roy ;D ;D

Pixie

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 17:14:40 »
Any news Eileen?

How are they getting on? - is there any sleeping going on or dog sitting? ;D

Sam

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2004, 01:34:16 »
Hi Pixie,

In the end Laura couldn't get a puppy pen at a price that suited her pocket, however, Trix has now settled down and has stopped chewing the wallpaper. Laura bought her a 'Kong' ball and she fills it with treats before going to bed at night. The pup is so engrossed with trying to get at the goodies that she forgets all about the wall!!! She falls asleep with it beside her every night (puppy love :D) She prefers her toys (and of course her beloved ball) now to chewing anything she shouldn't. She's sleeping longer at nights too which makes life for my daughter much easier to cope with.
As for the puppy sitting.... well....yes....I've looked after her twice now but let's just say it's not going to turn into a regular habit!!!

Cheers Eileen.

EILEEN.

Pixie

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 09:14:01 »
Hi Eileen

I'm glad everything has worked out okay and that Laura is getting some sleep!

Sam

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal