Author Topic: Wireless Router?  (Read 3191 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Wireless Router?
« on: July 27, 2008, 23:16:31 »
Got a laptop, want to buy one of these. Can anyone recommend one and reassure me about how simple it is?

???

TEL

• Hectare
Re: Wireless Router?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:38:09 »
I got a Belkin router i had a bit of a problem setting it up {no good with teck things} but there help line had it sorted in about ten Min's.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 07:33:34 »
I use a 3COM Office Connect, which I originally set-up using my Windows XP machine.

Wireless routers have to be connected using a network cable and then access the set-up menu by inputting the given code in your web browser. Once set-up there should be no need to access the menu again unless you want to change something (key code for security or to turn the wireless side of it on or off ). You should always use a security key (which is needed to access the wireless link). Once working your computer should always find the wireless link and log on automatically, any remote wireless computer within range will be able to find the link but will need the key code to actually use it.

My main computer runs Ubuntu OS and is connected by network cable. Don't be fooled by the speed reading which you receive from the network, it is the speed of the network (in my case 100Mb/s) not the broadband speed (2.2Mb/s).
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 22:45:57 »
I also have a belkin and it was a bit tricky to set up but sorted in the end. I would recommend it.

If you had trouble setting it up there are loads of computer forum sites that you could ask for help.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 01:58:58 »
we have a belkin one, i'm soo bad a computer stuff but rang would you believe belkin and they sorted it with me
lbb

Green_Gooseberry

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 19:32:04 »
My Belkin wireless connector disconnects me every five minutes :( but I expect thats because my laptop's a bit old

Nemesia

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 18:15:26 »
I slipped up when I first got my good price from AOL as a router was included and I said I didn't want it.  To be honest, I didn't know what it was for then!

labrat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 21:21:24 »
I can recommend the Netgear DG834GT. Simple to use and set up. First thing to remember is when you get a wireless router you must change the password to its setup page from the factory default otherwise people will very simply be able to get into your router and steal your broadband. You then have options to secure your wireless with encryption and to set up an access list which will block all computers except your own from accessing your router.

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 21:50:42 »
Wireless Routers should be fairly easy to set-up, but you need to make sure that you make the connection secute, so that other people can't borrow your connection for their own purposes.

heyho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 14:53:02 »
Netgears are decent and as said fairly easy to setup.

Don't know if this is any good for reference:-

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 21:03:32 »
I can recommend the Netgear DG834GT. Simple to use and set up. First thing to remember is when you get a wireless router you must change the password to its setup page from the factory default otherwise people will very simply be able to get into your router and steal your broadband. You then have options to secure your wireless with encryption and to set up an access list which will block all computers except your own from accessing your router.

I agree.
It might sound obvious, but do you have wireless on the laptop and make sure its switched on. I spent about an hour on the phone the other week trying to sort out someones wireless set up, only to find out that they did not switch the wireless on.

Neil

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 21:29:36 »
id agree with the netgear, i have a dg834pn which i have 3 laptops 2 xbox 360s a nintendo wii  a nintendo ds and a philips streamium hifi all using the it wirelessly. very easy to set up and customer service is the best i have ever used. never had a problem with it.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal