Author Topic: Pumpkins  (Read 1277 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Pumpkins
« on: July 25, 2008, 19:38:42 »
Dr Hessayon says you should limit plants to two fruit. Would you go along with his? Mine are Jack-o-lantern, I think.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 19:51:29 »
It depends what you're growing them for. Mine are grown for the pot, so the more smaller ones the better, as long as there's one big enough to make a jack-o-lantern out of this year I'll be fine!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 20:19:52 »
Only the largest pumpkins need limiting..... small ones it would be counter-productive!  :-X

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 23:36:36 »
I'm with Oliie on this one.  I want as many as possible.  If they are too small I shall use two but I doubt that will be a problem.  A problem is more likely to arise if I only want half.  I have one already that is the right size for a halloween pumpkin (just green at the moment) so I want the rest to be pot-sized.  My other squashes just need to be pot-sized.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 16:19:03 »
here's a bit of our harvest  ;D
jack be little, baby boo and small ? sugar

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 23:15:29 »
Manic have you harvested your pumpkins already? I have two quite large ones that are green __I was sure I had to wait for them to turn orange first ??? I am so confused now :( :(

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 23:48:18 »
Slightly confused as well as i don't harvest either pumpkin or winter squash until the skins harden (whatever the colour as I grow blues as well0 and this is usually late Sept and early Oct.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 08:24:24 »
the small sugar plant was very poorly, dying off so had to remove it, the pumpkins or squash, were holow so they should carry on, they were at full size and have gone to dark green, they don't go orange..the jbl and baby boo, I wanted for callum this weekend, don't take your pumpkins/squash 'til you need them, the big ones on the other vines are still on  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 11:04:15 »
Hi Manics, re your small sugar, they actually do go orange.. to a deep vivid orange.. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 16:04:06 »
these were the cross ones, just getting deeper green, anyway, the plant was dead, crispy leaves, mildewed, no new growth so we decided it was better out of the bed, just in case it ruined any other plants..our small sugar last year, we had 2 orange, 3 dark green  ???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal