Author Topic: RIP Grand Pier  (Read 1221 times)

grahamatlocking

• Not So New ...
RIP Grand Pier
« on: July 28, 2008, 18:54:49 »
The Weston-super-Mare Grand Pier has burnt down. What a terrible day for Weston  :(

Been a bit  :'( today after that.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: RIP Grand Pier
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 19:18:22 »
isn't there another one? where the life boat station is/was? or has that gone too?

grahamatlocking

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 19:22:59 »
Birnbeck Pier hasn't been open for years, i think its only there because it is listed and for the life boat and the grand pier with all the entertainment has completely burnt down.

Here is a vid

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdA7RFaoZkw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdA7RFaoZkw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 19:36:50 »
I love Weston Super Mud. The first time I went there I was expecting to be able to have a swim!  :D What an idiot

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 21:51:31 »
I was watching TV this morning (waiting for the builders to arrive) when they announced the news about the Pier. Almost impossible to believe how quickly the fire spread to cause total collapse of the buildings and the whole pier.  The new owners must be feeling sick, I understand they had great plans to bring the whole thing in to the 21st Century. Very sad. Thank goodness there were no deaths.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 23:15:34 »
The Weston-super-Mare Grand Pier has burnt down. What a terrible day for Weston  :(

Been a bit  :'( today after that.

Know what you mean, GM, I felt quite tearful after watching the Cutty Sark burn a few years back :( I've never been to WSM and seen the pier but it's all history isn't it?  I remember when Southend Pier went up in flames, then Windsor Castle (not that I'm a royalist by any means but again, history) then the Cutty Sark and now this.  Just makes me feel sad.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:38:20 »
we were in Brighton when the pier was smouldering  :)

penwortham115

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 11:32:43 »

many years ago morecambe peer burnt down  it was a eyesore for years untill demolished in the late 90s
its no wonder the town suffererd in visitors
hope it dont happen to weston

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal