Author Topic: Whoppers - but no fruit!  (Read 2237 times)

The Cardinal

• Not So New ...
Whoppers - but no fruit!
« on: July 24, 2008, 20:53:48 »
My 2 Atlantic Giants have now taken over my allotment. They've each got about four 'arms' some 20 or so feet long, leaves the size of rhubarb, and dozens of apple sized pumpkins........only none of the pumpkins seem to be coming to anything (I'm assuming coz they're not being fertilised?). So they shrivvle and die after a week or so. Time's marching on....WHY AREN'T THEY BEING FERTILISED? I've tried doing it manually, but the 'male' flowers don't seem to last more than a day before drying up so they're never much good. It's an organic plot surrounded by fields etc so there are plenty of insects and stuff. >:(

trinity

• Acre
Re: Whoppers - but no fruit!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:26:01 »
I cannot get my pumpkins to fertilise this year ??? but i don't know why so would like an answer to this as well

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 00:35:06 »

you will find that often you will get a female that appears to have developed and then withers and falls off the vine. This is not unusual so just keep pollinating your females and eventually you will have success. A female will wither because the pollination did not take place properly. The chromosomes ( 20 male 20 female) must be compatible. So just keep pollinating and all the best.

The Cardinal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 15:52:06 »
Not to worry - I've now got one the size of a beachball - and still got two months to grow!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal