Author Topic: Most sucessfull weed in your Garden/lottie this year.  (Read 11958 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Most sucessfull weed in your Garden/lottie this year.
« on: August 08, 2004, 16:44:23 »
In other words which weed has given the most trouble.

i ask because in my garden, certain weeds have been particularly sucessfull inmy garden this year.

Apart from the perennial headache that is bindweed, creeping buttercup, willowherb and spurge (euphorbia) have been a particular nuisance.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re:Most sucessfull weed in your Garden/lottie this year.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 19:23:03 »
(1) Groundsel is everywhere in my lottie but thankfully it pulls up easily.
(2) Bindweed is a big pest and has a habit of tripping a person up when they aren't looking :D

Debs.

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 21:37:56 »
The bindweed is a pain, but the marestail is worse.  Lifted a crazy paving path and left the remaining mud - had a mega attack of the thistles.  I also have nettles that are 6' high - OK as long as they stay in the 'wild' bit for the butterflies.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 19:09:07 »
I only have a little garden and it is very tightly planted. Most weeds don't stand a chance. However, I do fight with those long bits of grass missed by the mower that try to take hold in the flower beds!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 19:24:19 »
hmmmm...what I have found rather alarmingly is that this year a few (but even one's too much) bits of ground elder have appeared. Been in this house for 4 years now and only appeared this year. I'm not sure how it spreads itself, other than invasive roots obviously, but these have been in quite different spots, does it seed? puzzled.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 19:24:59 by Kerry »

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 10:32:28 »
Not sure if it does or not, Kerry. I know Japanese Knotweed doesnt -only propagates itself vegetatively. Certianly underground stems is the main way Ground elder spreads.

I dont have any of the real thug weeds in my garden (thankfully), though i did pull up what suspiciousl;y looked like ground elder growing through the fence from next door.I hope it wasnt though. Cant bear the thoughtof the garden infested with that stuff  >:(.

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 11:38:08 »
Dandelions in the lawn seem to be prolific this year (probably dont help having a playing field at rear of garden) and...

My nextdoor neighbours passion flower which keeps growing underneath my decking.Depite my attempts at thwarting its movement into my garden-it still grows! Roundup kills the shoots,but there are many more waiting in the wings to take their place...
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 14:28:22 »
I reclaimed some land from the bracken and brambles and planted some cabbage. The only thing is I have had a weeks hols and now cant tell the cabbage from the little weeds that have appeared >:(

Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 11:51:53 »
Hmmmmm......
1. Bindweed
2. Thistles
3. Bindweed
4. Nettles
5. Bindweed.

If somebody could find a viable commercial use for that b****y bindweed I'd be stonking rich!!!!!!

(They'd better find it quick 'cos my multi-pronged attack of Round-up, conflagration & rotovator means I could be destroying millions!!!)

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Most sucessfull weed in your Garden/lottie this year.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 18:00:32 »
In other words which weed has given the most trouble.

i ask because in my garden, certain weeds have been particularly sucessfull inmy garden this year.

Apart from the perennial headache that is bindweed, creeping buttercup, willowherb and spurge (euphorbia) have been a particular nuisance.

Just to update, now add Mysotis (Forget me nots). The next-door neighbours garden is full of the things now they've spread rapidly into my garden.

Easily pulled up I know, but its just the quantity. They have even invaded the front lawn!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 18:39:21 »
The weeds that I have most trouble with on my plot, this year and  for the past two years are marestails, couch grass and bindweed. It is hard to pick the most successful as they all seem to do well.  Marestails are so indestructable, whatever you do  they seem to survive. The best I can do is keep them to a minimum.  Couch grass, we have won several battles with, but it is not totally irradicated.  My allotment plot fence is surrounded by bindweed which grows up it.  The roots of this are like something from a science fiction novel and I fight the battle with it constantly.  I wish some of my veggies had such a determination to flourish  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 19:31:56 »
Weeds on the allotment do not  bother me much as an hour with the hoe does wonders, but I have a terrible time with wild garlic in the garden, weedkiller, digging it up and hoeing, will not get rid of it. One little bulblet left in the plot will colonise in a month.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 21:34:13 »
Down on the allotment it is bindweed and marestail.  At home in the garden it is groundelder, which is everywhere >:(
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 00:38:19 »
Hi Richard,  i think the worst weed in my garden is Dandelions & Bindweed they both came in with a load of old farmyard manure (thats what you get for getting manure from an Organic farmer) still the plants loved the food
later
windy
my allotment
heaven

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 13:00:31 »
They all seem to do pretty well on the plot.  I have forget me nots and poppies all over the plot Richard, but I don't mind, they bring colour and are easily oiked out or hoed away if they are in the.  I have couch, marestail, bindweed, thistles, brambles, dock, stinging nettles and something with a huge white fleshy root, kinda like Alexanders (sp?) or horseradish.  Jack told me he used to grow it to feed the rabbits and he told me the name, which I promptly forgot! 

Don't get weeds in the garden...gloat gloat...well I do, but not many to be honest, so densly planted there isn't the room for weeds!  The only thing that seems to wander into the beds at home is the lawn!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 16:26:00 »
Lucky you EJ - well in the garden at least.

have you tried some form of edging/mowing strip for the lawn to stop the grass encroaching into the beds?

I use bricks or pavers to edge my lawns

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 16:29:28 »
pretty big area of lawn really so would be on the pricey side, also have always worried about a hard edging thinking of the kids playing out there, falling and cracking their head on something like a brick edging.  I don't mind the grass wandering, it is so easy to pull out, which I do as I go around edging my lawn and also it means I get down and personal with my lovely plants.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 17:15:58 »
Fair enough.  ;D

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 21:51:04 »
Hi All,

Selfheal!!!!! in a lawn I look after for an aged friend.

Tried everything. As I suspect the soil is extremely poor, the real solution is grub the whole thing out & start again.

Any comments?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2005, 11:16:01 »
My problem is tht I don`t know what the things are called?
Think I will have to take some pics and ask you lot on here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal