Author Topic: Epicure  (Read 1059 times)

Tyke

• Half Acre
Epicure
« on: July 20, 2008, 00:20:19 »
I planted spuds for the first time this year - Epicure. I got a fair crop although many were not earthed up enough and went green. The decent sized oned, deeper down looked good.

I was quite disappointed in the taste when boiled - very bland and nothing like shop-bought ones . Took about 35-40 minutes to boil too.

Anyone grown Epicure? It might just be the way i grew em and i would like to know how others have found them...

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Epicure
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 01:44:30 »
I grew them in bins for the first time. I wasn't impressed with the first bin........marbles! We left the second bin another month and got 8 small spuds from 5 tubers. I put it down to bad watering though, these bins were pretty deep and getting the water level right is awful.

Wont use them (bins or Epicure) again, we found they tasted ok. But not as nice as Kestrel.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 07:30:55 »
Once upon a time spuds were spuds.

Whites or King Edwards.

Now we are spoilt for choice.

I have had Epicure in the past and according to my notes they are on my list of not to bother with again.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 08:21:05 »
I grow about 3kg of seed every year, we like them. Have tried bins but as Star says watering can be a problem...
 ::)

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 08:22:44 »

I have had Epicure in the past and according to my notes they are on my list of not to bother with again.

i need to start such a list. I have heard that the soil type affects the flavour, so perhaps they aren't  right for round here.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 08:26:02 »
For the first half a dozen years at this place I bought 10 tubers of a dozen varieties and took trial notes... Potato days are excellent for buying just a few tubers of many varieties...  :)

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 08:28:16 »
Potato days?? I assume this is a kind of market/exhibition thing that happens. How do i find out about them? It sounds a good idea as the commercially sold ones always have loads of tubers of one type, making it uneconomical to buy more than a couple of varieties..

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 08:44:44 »
here's a list of potato days that took place in 2007.

http://thewhitchurchweb.org/potatoday/potatodays.htm

There's an East Anglian one

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 09:02:04 »
wow! thanks...This looks good.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 09:41:00 »
Garden Organic usually have one at Ryton (Warwick and East a bit) in March - Details are usually on their web site and on the HDSL newsletters.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal