Author Topic: dairy substitutes  (Read 2575 times)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
dairy substitutes
« on: July 23, 2008, 19:02:08 »
not sure if this is the right section for this but I know there are some people here who are lactose intolerant - was just wondering what their preferred substitutes are for milk and butter   - many thanks  :)

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: dairy substitutes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 19:50:30 »
I believe soya milk is a good substitute.  I know that some people who cannot tolerate cow's dairy products, but are OK with sheep's and goats'.  Butter could be substituted with an 'olive oil' type spread.  Not a dietitian, just suggestions.

valmarg

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
  • Villa Villan and a two Lottie Nut
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 20:01:13 »
A colleague of mine has an intolerance to dairy products and she uses soya milk and as a butter substitute she uses a product called Pure, I have seen it in Tesco...there are two varieties one in a green tub and the other is in a yellow one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Tony
Villa villan and a two lottie nut...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 20:06:23 »
me, but I can tolerate goat's milk, goat's cheese is yummy, pure or olive oil spread, I use vitalite to cook with, or pure, there is also an ice cream substitute, glace, lovely but lots of sugar  :-\

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 20:24:09 »
I'm lactose intolerant and I use soya milk, Tesco's own non sweetened is good with cereal or in tea, if you need it in coffee then choose Alpro and put it in first -everything else curdles (except coconut milk which is a real treat). 'Pure' spread is great for all cooking, spreading etc.Other spreads often have lactose in them as well as olive oil etc. so best to check ingredients on box. Alpro do plain and flavouted yoghurts and single cream substitute and custard too, and of course the wonderful Swedish Glace that Manics mentions. All perfectly acceptable. The only thing I haven't found a decent substitute for is cheese. I can tolerate a small amount of Edam and parmesan without suffering too much but I don't have it often.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 20:25:44 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:22:01 »
my daughter was lactose intolerant from birth, thankfully she was breastfed but even what i ate upset her at times. i was told she may well grow out of it and to a certain degree she has. she can tolerate a certain amount of dairy but too much and she knows it. she has soya milk and can tolerate the spreads she also loves goats cheese. when she was first diagnosed i was told that goats milk was very close to cows milk and as her intolerance was quite severe then they told me to avoid it.
she was ever so pleased when a new milk shake place (shake shack) opened near her and they do a complete range of soya shakes  ;D

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:28:04 »
My mother is lactose intolerant and as far as I am aware butter has no lactose in it?

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:15:50 »
thanks all, will pass this on to my friend

does anyone use rice milk and can comment on its flavour, uses - over indulgence in soya has an affinity to thyroid problems and she is keen to avoid that and was wondering about rice milk

jitterbug - butter does have lactose in it but a lot less than milk - I guess it depends on how severe the condition is

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 16:25:41 »
didn't like the rice milk, or the soya sweetened with apple juice,  :-X
maggie, asda do a dairy free parmesan, works quite well  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 19:48:30 »
Ooooh great Mal... thanks for that. :-*

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 20:36:57 »
its a good idea that if some one has a suspected intolerance to have it checked professionally. I believed for years that I was lactose intolerant ( i an intolerant to eggs ans wheat as well ::) )but when my son started on solid food he had several allergic reactions we had him tested and he is allergic to milk protein and egg yoke and intolerant to lactose from all milks and egg white . my GP suggested that I should get my intolerance's checked (u have to pay for this as it is not available on the NHS my GP advised on the company to use) and it turns out I have no problem with lactose and as milk protein is broken down in the cooking process I can eat things like pizza and cheese sauce ;D and supposedly over half of the people who think they are intolerant to lactose are intolerant to cows milk protean and are OK with other animals milks and there products such as yogurt's and cheeses :o

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 01:10:44 »
No such luck here, tested and alergic to any dairy.  :(
Spent my childhood on antibiotics and wearing a pixie hood, my mother gave me milk etc. cos it was good for me! ( it affects my mucus membranes and then goes to my gut.)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal