Author Topic: Moving asparagus  (Read 1165 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Moving asparagus
« on: July 12, 2008, 20:49:20 »
I'm thinking of moving some asparagus. Has anyone done this successfully or would I be better just getting new crowns?

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: Moving asparagus
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 21:01:01 »
Always try moving first, but wait until the Autumn after they have died down.
The roots are extensive, but do not worry about chopping a lot off they are very resilient.

In the mean time get some seeds in TOMORROW, they will have time to produce nice enough plants to start a new bed in two years.

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 21:21:01 »
why are you thinking of moving them?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 23:13:29 »
I moved some convers colossal that I had grown from seed as couch had got into them while I was ill, only lost one season...  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 02:15:58 »
Thank you. That's what I was hoping. In my case it's raspberry canes coming through from my neighbour. i need to be able to dig them out on a regular basis so I thought I'd move the asparagus somewhere else.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 06:21:42 »
I have luckily been able to fill a planned bed on the perimeter of my plot with next doors raspberries that spread through, without doing a thing.

They are a different variety to the ones I already have. , taller and a little later.

It is a good point that you have inadvertently made that raspberries or other underground spreading plant should not be planted near asparagus.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:41:58 »
Yes (rueful smile): the asparagus was there before the rasps. My neighbour has noticed the problem and apologised but to be honest there's not a lot he can do about it, and while the asparagus is there I can't do much about it either.
I have rasps of my own along my outer boundary, so when I strim the path the rasps that are making a bid for freedom get strimmed too. On the plot side of my row of rasps it requires pretty constant hoeing to keep them in line. I should probably dig a trench on both beds and put in some kind of barrier.I think raspberries are fairly shallow rooted so it might work.
Anyway thanks for the advice on the asparagus.  I'll wait till the shoots yellow and then move them as I cut them back.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 10:37:22 »
We'll have to compare notes, Anne. My asparagus is completely swamped by couch grass so I'm planning to dig them up this year and move them.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 19:04:03 »
All things being equal I think I'd rather have raspberries than couch!! ;)

David R

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 19:44:49 »
I moved some mature sparagras a couple of years ago when i moved house. I dug up as much as i could of the rootball, and kept them in bin liners. I had to chop through finger thick roots to get them out and i thought they would be goners but i am happy to report they are all doing well in their new home.

I would recommend the following:
move them in winter or very early spring,
get as much root out as poss,
plant deeply (about 18" should do it),
dont harvest the first year,
keep all pests off the first year so they are not weakened - particularly the beetle,
manure thoroughly

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal