Author Topic: What is this bird-non native  (Read 2084 times)

beckbeck

• Not So New ...
  • my allotment
What is this bird-non native
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:39:38 »
Since yesterday i have has a small bird ,about sparrow size,coming to the bird table and eating seed,it is dove shaped has cream body and light brown wings the wings are a lovely pattern like barn owl colours and pattern, it has black eye with bright orange ring round it,i can get within about a foot of it before it moves away so it is used to humans,it looks like a collared dove but different colours and little bit bigger than sparrow,it is not shy and keeps trying to shoo pigeon off feeder,any ideas, will it survive,what should i do,it is still there this morning and seems to of roosted in our cherry tree,will try and get some picture on later.Becky

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
Re: What is this bird-non native
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:46:40 »
Hi Beck,

??? Sound a bit like a Diamond Dove...

beckbeck

• Not So New ...
  • my allotment
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:55:43 »
Yes have had a look and it is a diamond dove,will it survive or do i need to try and catch it?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:30:11 »
Maybe contact RSPB for advice or RSPCA. It's presumably somebody's pet that has escaped.

Isleworth

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 12:06:28 »
Wouldn't bother with the rspca or rspb, if you can catch it go for it as it probably won't survive long term and will have escaped from a local aviary... lovely birds to keep.

If you can get hold of a bird cage, hang it up with the door pinned back around the spot you saw it and put some seed mix inside.
You may be lucky enough to get it to go in and then pop over slowly and close the door... Have done this a few times over the years when we used to get stray birds turn up around our aviaries.

Failing that I would try and encourage it into a green house / fruit cage so you can catch it up...

best of luck,

Isleworth ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:12:01 by IsleworthTW7 »

beckbeck

• Not So New ...
  • my allotment
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 13:22:57 »
Thanks for replies ,i am going to try to catch it as its looking very sorry for itself sat in the rain ,the local cats have been taking an interest in it and its been sat in our cherry tree yesterday and today coming down to feed then flying back up again,will let you know how we get on!Becky

Isleworth

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:07:15 »
Any luck Becky?

beckbeck

• Not So New ...
  • my allotment
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 14:01:29 »
Just an update,i have aquired an old cage that is in garden with door open and food inside,
the bird is still in the garden hasn't left ,
sits in our tree and comes down to eat and drink,
it will sit on the cage but not in it yet,
i can get very close to it but wont let me touch it,but almost,
it seems quite happy at the moment,will keep you updated,will try and post a pic for you to see.
Becky

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 14:17:09 »
if you need any advice or rescue/rehoming centre for birds give me a shout i keep birds and know of an excellent lady that rescues all birds and gives excellent advice good luck keep us informed  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal