Author Topic: Greenhouse Autovents  (Read 2350 times)

Chilipepper

• Half Acre
Greenhouse Autovents
« on: June 29, 2008, 22:58:18 »
I have a 2nd hand greenhouse that has an autovent in the roof and also a louvre autovent at the back, NOW the ? is how do i work them?
The previous owners had it in the garden when they moved in the house so they didnt know how they worked and trolled the internet without finding anything telling you exactly how to get them to work
So any greenhouse buffs know PWETTY PWEASE  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Greenhouse Autovents
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 23:36:06 »
they work by expanding wax with temperature increase. if a few years old with no tlc, prob need replacing. cost about 20 quid. if new one has black cylinder, cover with silver or white tape, this avoids inaccurate operation due to black surface absorbing too much heat even on a cold day. rgds, tony. try a little wd40 before throwing old ones out,you never know!!
You couldn't make it up!

Chilipepper

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 23:48:17 »
thanks tony it might be caput, but i'll try the WD40
if not i buy a new one
thanks
 ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 10:48:36 »
You mean they don't work??

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 23:00:17 »
We have an autovent bought for a plastic greenhouse that tore to shreds before I got to use the vent so we installed it in the coldframe last Fall and it worked like a charm.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Irish-Digger

• Not So New ...
    • Irish Digger
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:05:49 »
New auto vent controls are on sale at B&Q    When working properly they are great.  Also the roof vent will produce better circulation then the Louver vents.
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you are a mile away. And you have his shoes. !!!

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 20:28:15 »
I always remove the mechanism bit from my auto vent at the start of the winter ,and its been going strong for about 10 years now ;D

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 01:03:29 »
There really isn't much to go wrong with them, and since you say that both don't work, it's very unlikely that both have failed at the same time. It might be an adjustment problem, such as previous owners having disabled them for winter. I assume you've found the black cylinder that tony mentioned, so start with the roof vent and screw it clockwise looking from the 'blank' end until the window starts to open. If it's warm and sunny keep screwing till the window is about half way open; if it's dull or cool, less so. After that it needs you to keep an eye on its behaviour. If the window moves at all as the inside temperature changes then all is well, and after a few days you will have found a setting to suit you, by scewing in or out to make sure the window closes before it gets too cold. Once you've got that sorted, try to synchronise the louvre vent with it in the same way, so they both open at the same time, and forever after that they'll take care of themselves. From memory, mine start to open at about 25-30º (75-85)

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal