Author Topic: Plotting in close proximity to badgers and ticks  (Read 1448 times)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Plotting in close proximity to badgers and ticks
« on: July 14, 2008, 22:51:23 »
My plot backs onto the southern boundary of our site.  At the back of plots along this boundary, we have a newly planted native hedgerow, then approx. 15 feet of wild growth - brambles, nettles, high grass, a few small trees etc.  Then there is our boundary fence proper, a standard black iron bar type fence.  On the other side of the fence is another area of rough grass with large mature trees, a footpath then playing fields.  Our western boundary wall separates us from a deer park.

One of my plot neighbours has been clearing the back of his plot and behind the native hedgerow has found what looks like a live badger sett.  Further exploration on other nearby plots has discovered other entrances.  Of course, we wouldn't disturb badgers if we have them.  They don't seem to cause us any problems on our plots - we didn't even know they were there!

However, their little friends are definitely not welcome.  Working at the back of his plot, my neighbour has acquired a tick on 2 occasions in the last 2 weeks, one in the groin and one in the armpit.  This is despite being covered up because he gets the same bad reaction to insect bites that I do.  He has cut back the long grass and will keep it short, but is there anything we can do to lower the tick population?   

jjt

• Half Acre
Re: Plotting in close proximity to badgers and ticks
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 00:00:57 »
Well I know that spot-on stuff for cats that you put on the back of their neck really does work. So I'd try it on the neighbour first and if nothing bad happens to him then have some yourself. Don't lick it though, it makes you dribble something chronic.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 00:11:00 »
Ticks like long grass; they may not be anything to do with the badgers.
The Tuscan Beaneater

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 00:14:09 »
I read that badgers change their sleeping chamber very frequently because they become so infested - yuck! 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal