Author Topic: Over the garden hedge this morning.....  (Read 1123 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Over the garden hedge this morning.....
« on: July 13, 2008, 19:17:10 »
Surburban living, don'tcha just love it?

Finally! it stopped raining! Finally I was out in the garden at 8.20am, looking at what was to do, what had grown, what had drowned, & what, in the g/house had survived a weeks neglect.......no WAY was I going out in torrential downpours to water LOL

For the first year EVER I've planted some non-edibles......got some scented petunias (btw.....are ALL petunias scented, or just this particular variety I had gifted by someone who bought them off the Shopping Channel??).......so they smelled glorious.....then on to a climbing rose, now covering 2 obelisks.....again, name unknown, but the heady perfume reminds me of my Mum's loose powder in her Stratton Compact......further on, more roses and the sweet peas I've got growing up obelisks.....for a veggie grower, I was almost converted to the Smelly Side of Life......and then....

Over the other side of the hedge I just knew that the neighbour had hung out her washing.......from 9.00am for the rest of the ruddy day I sneezed and coughed while her Asda/B&Q/Tesbury's/Whatever,  scented fabric-condiitoned-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life-&-poss-mine-also washing dried on the twirly line......

Grrrrrrrr. bring back Carbolic  ;D

Kea

• Hectare
Re: Over the garden hedge this morning.....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 18:41:14 »
Count yourself lucky my neighbour smokes cigars all day.....he used to do that down the golf club but he can't now.
Between that and the constant BBQ's which smell like an aircraft has crashed in the neighbours garden...smell of kerosene and ...actually I won't say that too gruesome!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 19:20:43 »
Ah A_M, rural versus suburban.

I'd have to say, I would willingly swap the smell of your neighbour's fabric conditioner with the smell of (putting it politely) muck spreading.  Some days the stench is so strong you can almost eat it.  Doors and windows closed, and sitting out in the garden is a definite no-no.  And why is it always in the Summer that the stuff is spread about? ;D  I wouldn't mind so much if this was an area that grew crops, but it's not.

I also agree with Kea about barbecues, bonfires used to be bad enough!!  And when I go shopping I hate having to run the gauntlet of the tobacco smoke stench outside shopping centres, supermarkets, etc.

valmarg

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 19:10:01 »
I think it would be a bonus if my neighbours smoked cigars,,but then it is not easy to grow your own cigar baccy..if you know what I mean!!

I often think of the perils of secondhand smoke, then inhale when they are lighting up..does me no good though.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 19:28:57 »
Naughty Jeannine  ;D

never used to bother me that the last lot of neighbours smoked Possumweed (as I believ it's called). Bit of a problem with them throwing the leftover bits over the fence

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 19:33:49 »
Boobarb...not naughty, it was a scientific observation, isn't  it is supposed to be good for pain, I thought it might work better than the patches., maybe I need to hold my breath a bit longer

XXJeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 19:36:46 »
Well as someone who gave up the evil weed more than 21 years ago, believe me it does get easier, much, much easier ;D

valmarg

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 22:59:09 »
tobacco is easy to grow! councils use it for bedding plants. It's the curing it that's a bit tricky!
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 23:34:12 »
Boobarb...not naughty, it was a scientific observation, isn't it is supposed to be good for pain, I thought it might work better than the patches., maybe I need to hold my breath a bit longer

XXJeannine

Wish I could find a good legal painkiller.I suffer with pain from kidney stones,the horrible things keep coming back after treatment.Tonight they are really painful.
Fed up with the blasted things. :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal