Author Topic: What's on your growing list?  (Read 1155 times)

AdrianH

• Not So New ...
What's on your growing list?
« on: July 10, 2008, 13:47:10 »
I thought it might be interesting for people to list what varieties they are growing this year.
As this is our first year growing, I must admit that as we got a lot veges as plants I'm not sure what variety they are, but here is the list for this year and our plans for next!

This Year:

Kale - Cavalo Nero
Parsnips - Lancer
Carrots - B&Q patio seed range + some Chantenay
Tomatos - Tumbling Tom Reds, Tigerilla, Brandywine
Chillis - Hungarian Hot Wax; Anaheim; Red Scotch Bonnet, Orange Habenero, Jalapeno
Cucumber - unknown, but is outdoor ridge variety
Courgettes - Yellow and Green, but unspecified variety!
Onions - unknown
Peas - unknown and very disapointing!
Cabbage - unknown
Runner Beans - unknown
Borlotti Beans - unknown
Potatos - unknown

These are all in pots as we haven't got the space for a plot, but we will have a small greenhouse arriving soon so we can start more things off from seed and provide a better enviroment for toms, chillis and cukes. Our seed list for next year so far is:

Bell Pepper: Redskin, Mavras F1
Borlotti Beans: Borlotto Suprema
Broad Beans: Aquadulce
Cabbage: Castello
Carrots: Yellowstone F1, Red Samarai, Early Nantes, Purple Dragon, Autumn King
Chillis: Hung. Hot Wax, Scotch Bonnet, Habanero, Cherry Bomb, Hot Lemon, Black Hungarian
Courgettes: Taxi F1, Defender F1, One Ball F1, Eight Ball F1
Cucumber: Femspot F1, Burpless Tasty F1
Kale: Cavalo Nero
Leeks: Tadorna
MangeTout: Carouby de Mausanne
Onions: Sturon, Red Baron, Radar (for overwinter)
Parsnips: Gladiator F1
Spring Cabbage: Excel
Tomatoes: Tumbling Tom Red, Tumbling Tom Yellow, Orange Banana, Tigerella, Green Zebra, Lemon Tree

Not sure if we'll do potatoes next year as the foliage does take up an awful lot of space when you are just working in containers, but I'm pretty sure the smallish area we have that, going by how much space things have taken up this year, we can handle all of the above next year.

So lets here what you are all growing this year (and maybe next).... make me jealous of your plots!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 13:49:59 by AdrianH »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: What's on your growing list?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 14:22:26 »
Sounds like you have maximised space for growing in pots.  Lots on the menu.  You could also put strawberries in hanging baskets for next year.  Ensure they are netted though or the birds will have them. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 14:58:27 »
I am in awe of the people who grow lots of varieties. I tend to stick to those I trust and I have lots of unopened packets of seeds that I have bought over the years and never got round to trying!

Maybe next year........

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments2_my_allotment_in_liverpool.html

AdrianH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 18:20:30 »
I am in awe of the people who grow lots of varieties. I tend to stick to those I trust and I have lots of unopened packets of seeds that I have bought over the years and never got round to trying!

Maybe next year........

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments2_my_allotment_in_liverpool.html

I probably should be in awe.... but don't run before you can walk has never really worked for me!

Yes have maximised space ... and I am impressed how much can be grown in containers (it also removes the need for much digging!) Our Tomatos, Cukes, Bell Peppers and Chillis will all grow in the greenhouse, everything else will be in containers.
There will be different things going on at different times of the year though, so really as one thing finishes we should be able to put something else in its place, and by using different varieties we can alsorts of surprises through the year e.g. with the carrots, I'll sow one pot in Feb with a mix of Yellowstone and Early Nantes,  in March do the same but with some Red Samurai thrown in(these can live in the greenhouse until the weather improves), April will be a pot of Red Samurai and Autumn King, and May-June sow pots of Purple Dragon and Autumn King. This way we'll get carrots through July-October and each one we harvest will be a surprise of coloured varieties.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal