Author Topic: Returning to poultry... :)  (Read 11352 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Returning to poultry... :)
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 15:53:27 »
I think you will find that the Eglu's have that rigid wire along the outside so they are more moveable around the garden and a fox would find it very difficult to get in with the "apron type wire netting" round the eglu.

I am not sure that is what they use but the majority of pictures I have seen shows the wire round the base!

Old Bird

;D

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 16:22:19 »
Yes, that's exactly how the Eglu works. 

What I was meaning is that on the wooden coop detail earlier, putting paving slabs around the outside would be similar deterrent in that the fox would have to dig under further to get under the wire.  Had an idea that you could attach wire to the bottom of the coop and put under the slab but then it couldn't be moved for replacing the chippings.

Certainly a lot cheaper that the Eglu but they appear to be lower maintenance.

Patrick King

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 22:17:42 »
on my wooden chicken run, i attached wire to the bottom and dug it in the ground about 16-18inches of wire. works great, even better if you use slabs.
My plot - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40512.0.html
Foxes don't burrow, they only dig

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 23:15:28 »
That's exactly what I was thinking but then I wouln't be able to lift it to move to replace chippings.

Patrick King

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 07:01:06 »
how big is the run going to be? is there a door for you to get it?
My plot - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40512.0.html
Foxes don't burrow, they only dig

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 12:20:27 »
how big is the run going to be? is there a door for you to get it?

Sorry Patrick  ??? bit lost now... To who are you asking this question?

Isleworth

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 09:24:41 »
Getting closer to my Poultry return now :) 

Coop's arrived and is now built along with a Heras security panel run which will give the hens a bit more space to roam when I am down on the allotment. (No free ranging as the other plot holders would kill me if their prize lettuces etc.. get eaten lol)

Sadly won't be able to get it finished ready for the hens for another week or so, but at least it's a step nearer!

Zoolad

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 22:58:50 »
can i ask, those coops, are they just for nightime with the intention of letting them free range in the day (i can see the extended run thingy) or would 3 chooks be happy only to be in that run unless supervised? i live in an urban area which has plenty of cats including my own 2 so theyd spend more time in the run (safe) than out IF i did get one, and as a rough guide, how much do they cost to keep? in food etc? i wouldnt know where to begin with pricing up as i dont know how much they eat how often to treat for mites and vets jabs and so on....
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

Isleworth

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 07:49:55 »
Hi everyone,

Appologies for the delayed update...

Pen is now finished along with some new raised beds and I'm collecting the 3 hens today @ 11.30  ;D

Will pop some pictures on this evening!

All the best,

IsleworthTW7

Isleworth

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 08:07:43 »
can i ask, those coops, are they just for nightime with the intention of letting them free range in the day (i can see the extended run thingy) or would 3 chooks be happy only to be in that run unless supervised? i live in an urban area which has plenty of cats including my own 2 so theyd spend more time in the run (safe) than out IF i did get one, and as a rough guide, how much do they cost to keep? in food etc? i wouldnt know where to begin with pricing up as i dont know how much they eat how often to treat for mites and vets jabs and so on....

Hi Loopyloulou,

Sorry for the delayed reply!

I think the coop would be fine for two lrg hens like Warrens or a trio of Bantams non free ranging, if the coop is moved around the garden on a regular basis..

Re. Cost: It really depends how far you go... A bag of layers pellet isn't expensive and would last you for ages, if you don't have a local feed merchant you can get it at Pets@Home or even order online although this way it does become expensive with the delivery cost. Apart from a bag of shavings here and there and a bag of straw for the nest boxes there isn't really a lot of exspence once you have purchased the hens and coop.

Only other thing I can think of is the odd purchase of wormer, mite powder etc.. + when needed of course the Vet charges should anything go wrong.

HTH,

Isleworth

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 13:18:41 »
I have exactly the same hen house buy maybe the bigger one, as was advertised to house 6 hens and was slightly more expensive, £235 I think.  I was actually shocked when it came though as it looked smaller than I imagined ! dont know how anyone could keep 6 hens in there alone.  I only have 4 RIR and even so I felt guilty about space so my hubby made a nice extension for it on the end opposite to nest box so the whole thing is now an L shape (all enclosed) and then we put some high fencing all around the whole thing providing extra 'free range' area for daytime.  This works very well until I mistakingly let them free on my veggie area, and now they just want to come out all the time !!

I agree the Eglu looks fantastic and as Im having a problem with red mites this is a real added bonus and worth thinking about cos everyone will get them sometime !  But arent they a little small ?
You always love your children more than they love you...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal