Author Topic: Stupid Question of the month...........  (Read 3091 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Stupid Question of the month...........
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 08:38:56 »
I lifted some of my garlic at the end of last week and the soil was dry despite some bits of drizzle during the preceding week. By now it'll be saturated, but that's no bad thing as long as we get some warm weather reasonably soon.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 09:59:04 »
No sign of summer just yet I am afraid. It appears to be 'European Monsoon' season at the moment (no I am not joking this is fact, according to the daily mail at least).

I have a rain guage on the fruit plot. It was full to overflowing at 6pm last night, showing at least 35mm of rain fallen. I emptied it and it was showing 11mm this morning. So that is at least 46mm in 24 hours, if not more. For those of you who still on 'old money' thats getting on for 2 inches of rain!!!

If you think thats bad i read than some places got even more than that yesterday.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 16:37:49 »
Mon, tues rained on and off all day, wed didn't stop raining morning, noon and night, nice warm day today with sunny spells, just put the washing out and yes its started spitting.  :(       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 19:58:40 »
The European monsoon is definitely a fact, though it's more of a statistical veriation this far north. In summer, the land heats up faster than the sea, so air coming in from the sea heats up in contact with it, rises, and is replaced by more sea air. The result is moist air, rising, and producing rain. In winter, the opposite occurs. The land is colder than the sea, so air cools, and flows outwards to replace warmer rising air over the sea. So we get slightly drier weather. Go to the tropics and you get a far stronger effect.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 21:11:56 »
1 months worth of rain in the space of a day in South Wales - most of it in the back hallway of my house it appears!!!  I'm dreading what my lottie is going to look like as I've just started a new job and have had hardly any time to get up there the past couple of weeks  :'(
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 21:27:10 »
so how long do you think this European monsoon will last?

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 21:32:54 »
It is difficult trying to do any digging in this rain, and i didn't go up to the allotment for 10 days  - mainly due to the windy weather. However, when i went up on Tuesday (sunny day at last) all my plants had grown spectacularly. Sunflowers and lillies blooming, rhubarb almost doubled in size, loads of peas and broad beand and a doubling of corn. I was gobsmacked. Ok, weeds were alos rampant, but 30 mins work took most down.

Just shows me that i hadn't been watering enough previously - no water supply on site and no sign Parish council will get a bowser for us....

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 21:47:08 »
im hoping the weekend will be better, i cant go in inclement weather with 2 small kiddies in tow, so unless i find some willing babysitters the lotty can carry on growing nettles and couch and dock, siiigh, hopefully the pumkins and courgettes and everything else up there likes it! but the wind took the leaves clean off my fig tree!! not a happy bunny!!!
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 22:35:41 »

Who knows? This is Britain, remember. If the weather was predictable, what would we have to talk about?

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 22:37:46 »

Who knows? This is Britain, remember. If the weather was predictable, what would we have to talk about?

so true so true, also what would we have to moan about????? too hot too wet too cold lol!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal