Author Topic: How long?  (Read 2116 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
How long?
« on: August 05, 2004, 16:15:44 »
If my aubergine plants, or melon plants have not flowered as of today, even tho they are big healthy plants, do you think there is still time for them to flower and set fruit, even if it is only one?

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
Re:How long?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 17:18:20 »
My aubergines flowered 2 weeks ago and I now have 2 baby (3 inch) aubs.  I am only guessing but I think I would have something worth harvesting in another couple of weeks (or next week if you are a very tiny person).  So thats about 4 weeks from flower to table - I guess if we have a nice september you could be lucky.  Don't know anything about melons though... good luck!
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 23:34:59 »
Getting a bit late for melons EJ, even here. Aubergines can be harvested at any size though- baby aubergines go for a premium so think how much money you could save!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 23:40:30 »
Okay John, will bin the melon plants then, at least that will free up some room in the greenhouse.  As for my aubergines, I will keep chatting them up and hope for flowers soon.  I must try to get the melons off to a better, slug free start next year.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 08:40:09 »
Emma - your aubs are outside? - you talk of bringing them in?
Will they fruit? Our 2nd batch - sown 3/4 - in greenhouse - just starting to flower. Certainly hope for fruit. 3rd batch - no flowers, so doubtful. We have until end October when we clear everything out. But last year it was 36F in the 'house in September! = Tim

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 09:06:21 »
My aubs have been flowering for ages, but no fruits have set yet. Do I need to paint brush them?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 11:11:56 by aquilegia »
gone to pot :D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 11:11:15 »
No sign of any flowers on my melon, so I think I might consign it to compost heaven.  :'(
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 12:35:20 »
My aubs are in the greenhouse Tim, sorry, I frequently make myself misunderstood....I forget that you guys don't see my garden as I do.  :-\  All melons went into the compost heap this morning, quite a liberating feeling actually as there is now room to walk around in my greenhouse!  I have 2 aubs with no flowers, and they are the white aubs so I would love to see them fruit.  I will hang on and on and see what happens.  I think you might have to help yours along Aqui.  Ever flower on mine has produced a fruit, which I am thrilled about as I have never had any success before!  However, my greenhouse is a buzzing mass of hoverflies, wasps and bees, and loads and loads of ladybirds!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal