Author Topic: Using chicken manure pellets  (Read 11023 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Using chicken manure pellets
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:19:21 »
Hi Im new to growing veg & have only had my allotment since spring this year....Having read the thread about the awful problems contaminated manure is causing all over the country I was wondering if the dried chicken pellets Ive seen could be used as a general manure all over my plot once Ive harvested my summer crops? Really dont want to risk using real manure & it will take me this winter to grow green manure crops.
Any suggestions for alternative ways to 'manure' welcomed  ;D

Ishard

• Hectare
Re: Using chicken manure pellets
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:12:09 »
People usually use chicken manure pellets as they plant (or a week before) and during the crops growing not to leave for a while on the soil. I do use them too  :)

I think the idea of bulky manure is that it releases the goodness slowly over a few months whilst the pellets wont.

I would worry that if I used the pellets in way you are asking that the goodness would leach away before you could plant in the spring.

I am actually getting well rotted chicken manure for my allotment which I can spread thickly in winter over the area I need to.

So far no reports on chicken manure being contaminated.

Hope this helps

Jackie

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 22:46:53 »
Thanks so much for your reply, as a real novice I had no idea about the manure pellets losing their goodness so quickly etc  ;D
Hope you dont mind me asking but where do you source your chicken manure from?   

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:36:02 »
You are very welcome Crystalmoon, its what this forum is all about.  ;D

I get mine from a farm where I store my caravan, its in the Leicestershire countryside. Not exactly sure where as its in the middle of nowhere lol

Im sure if you google 'chicken farms county?' you could get a supplier near you.  :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:37:59 by Ishard »

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 13:55:13 »
Hi Crystal moon,

In the absence of manure you might like to think about replacing both its functions so
find alternative mulches like grass clippings straw woodchip , but also look for some good nutrients chicken poo , nettle or comfrey tea , bear in mind that at the moment you want to encourage flowers and fruit so look for something that is rich in phosphates and other nurtrients not just nitrogen (which just makes things grow leafy). Comfrey tea is good for this.

lucky for me comfrey is a big weed on our site. if its not on yours ask around im sure someone will be able to dig you up a bit of theirs!

good luck
Xsunloving

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 16:54:06 »
Chicken manure pellets are supposed to be very good for asparagus.  You sprinkle them on the bed after the cutting season is over.  I'm trying it anyway.
Keep Calm and Carry On

bankieman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 21:54:56 »
Hello crystal moon.Just noticed this while browsing.I'm curious to know if you noticed an increase in fox activity after using the chicken pellets?The foxes made a mess of my allotment after I used the pellets,It appears foxes have a penchant for chicken s--t!!! - the man next to me says they do, but I wonder if its just coincidental with freshly dug soil and an easier dig for worms and grubs(if foxes eat these)???

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 23:45:11 »
As I have loads of well rotted chicken manure from cleaning my hen coop - I wonder if this could be a straight swap from farm manure or are they two totally different entities for different jobs.  Usually I would just mix it in the soil at the end of harvesting season.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 19:29:43 »
Poultry manure, direct from the keep is far stronger than cow manure which in turn is stronger than horse manure. If you're on clay soil its much better at aiding the breakdown and improvement of the soil, otherwise use as you would farm manure but in smaller quantities - and preferably after its had a few months to cool off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal