Author Topic: National Allotment week  (Read 1608 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
National Allotment week
« on: August 10, 2008, 17:35:18 »
According to the Guardian, this week (11th-17th August) is National allotment week and it's also 100 years since allotment legislation came in. Can't say I've seen much publicity about this, but then my site has no committee or anything like it. Is anyone here doing anything special?

http://www.nagtrust.org/page5.html

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: National Allotment week
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 17:47:32 »
Yes!
I've just posted about our Summer Fayre next Saturday. Another local allotment site had theirs yesterday, in the rain. 
Last year was the first time we had done it and despite really awful weather we did well.  Lots of people came and looked round the site and some more names were added to our waiting-list. We raised a lot of money for the Air Ambulance.
Betty
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 17:50:33 »
Never knew that.  New diary date:  Second week in August each year.  8)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

ODD

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 11:07:03 »
We held an open afternon on Sat 16th together with a scarcrow competition and best plot number competition. Attracted about 200 visitors to the site. This is our first year as a society so we are still learning but it seemed to work quite well and hopefully has helped build up some good will between the lotte and the rest of the village.

It might be useful if we start  a strand about June next year giving details of ope n stes and what we are doing. All it needs is someone with a better memory than me to open it!
We would aslo welcome ideas for new events. The scarecrow will carry on and is spreading across the village but something restricyed to plotholders aould be good. One suggestion is the greatest number of different veg that can be harvested on the day. Any other suggestions?

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:58:01 »
Our site had a potato and spoon race and the tallest sunflower plant competition (only for children) and a treasure hunt for the children.   Think they all enjoyed it although I didn't organise it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal