Author Topic: Help  (Read 1602 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Help
« on: July 07, 2008, 08:05:58 »
One of our hens went broody so i bought 6 eggs off ebay and for the past week she sat onthem lovely. Yesterday she seems to have rejected them, shes not sitting on them and has broke one. How long does it take for the eggs to be useless and what options do i have?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 08:42:06 »
It happens is she a first time broody?
If you havent a incubator, and the broken eggs was not rotten you would smell it.
Have you a garden propergator electirc one, that runs the same temp as a incubator, mine does and I use mine as a brooder when chicks hatch.
Put something soft in the bottom and check the temp. 38C  vents closed
place the eggs on their sides X and O on the shells, and turn them at least twice a day like morning and night.
It might work but it gives them a chance

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 17:58:29 »
Good advice as always Teresa but i think i'm a bit late. Mate tells me she has'nt sat on them since Saturday (i've been away)so its too late. I'll know next time i have a variable propogator.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 18:35:05 »
Try to candle them, using a strong torch and a piece of cardboard with a hole cut out to sit the egg in. Then shine the torch bottom upwards, if you see thread veins the eggs are fertile and you may stand a chance in the propergator. If no veins the eggs are not fertile and the broody knew better than to waste her time?
If nothing else is a learning experence ha ha.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal