Author Topic: Open Ground in Rows verus a Bed System  (Read 8328 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Open Ground in Rows verus a Bed System
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 11:49:14 »
Some good replies there. I'd like to comment on a few points raised.

I think you could use all sorts of materials for the psaths between the beds, it doesn not have to be old carpet (might be OK for an allotment but not a garden plot). I have used landscape fabric and gravel for mine, which might be a bit too extravagant for some but it looks good and is easy to maintain. You could use bark chips or shredded prunings instead. If you have access to old paving slabs these could be dry laid on firmed earth either as stepping stones or as whole paths if you can aquire enough. Last resort would be grass but this might spread into the beds and need regular re-edging and weeding.

The beds done have to be raised or need edging. a simple network of defined beds and paths would achieve the same effect if raised beds are not needed. When it comes to soil improvement, instead of spreading compost ofr manure over the whole plot, just mulch the beds with it.

I have to admit some crops are trickier to grow in beds rather than open ground plots. Potatoes for example are harder to earth up in raised beds particularly. In fact some years i grow my spuds through landscape fabric  topped with a mulch to remove the need for earthing up. Crops needing a lot of space such as some brassicas and curcubits (squashes and courgettes etc). Sprouts in particular I have discovered cannot be grown closer together in raised beds so i can fit that many in. In open rows I might fit more ito the plot.

Whilst I am generally happy with my beds i have a couple of niggles with them, originating form when they were built. The first is the layout of them, I built them 10 feet by 3 feet with 4 beds across the plot (running length wise east to west) with a 5th bed at right angles (lengthwise north to south). This last bed is more shaded and is close to a hedge which limits the crops I can grow. I now feel the layout and perhaps the shape of the beds is wrong ant that either all the beds should run lengthwise north south (avoiding the problem of crops in one bed shading the next) or been square or nearly square (4'x4' or 4'x5'), giving me 6 smaller beds and greater flexibilty perhaps.

The other problem is the soil. Unlike many people when they make raised beds I filled mine entirely with existing topsoil rather than a mixture of soil and organic matter. Consequently the organic matter in the beds needs almost constant replenishment. This is never enough and with all the rains in the last 12 - 18 months I now feel the soil has become rather tired, hungry and in need of serious improvement or even partial replacement. I have come to this conclusion based on poor growth on the veg plot so far this year.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 12:24:21 »
I found it convenient to dig a bed at a time when faced with this prospect:-

Several months later after digging/building one at a time it looked like this

I can now modify things and add moveable modules such as these squash houses:-

It suits my sense of order. I have even made a record of the weight of produce to decide on best varieties, planting times and distances etc.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 17:01:06 »
Those are really something!!

This is my version.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 19:36:39 »
Those are really something!!

This is my version.

Looks good tim. Still a bit big though. You have to walk on them to get to the plants in the middle I am guessing?

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 19:39:32 »
Just a thought. What is the ideal orientation for beds? North to south or east to west? Mine are east to west (ish). I have a feeling this is not the best way to have them...... ???

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 22:34:55 »
East to West give maximum light to your veg.

If you think Tim,s Potato bed is big'
[attachment=1]
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 13:06:23 »

[attachment=1]

Just to clarify. Do you mean the longest axis should run from east to west with the longest sides facing south and north? I thought that this orientation would result in tall crops casting shade over the bed to the north of it? I have seen some beds recently in another garden where the long axis ran north to south and thought that this might be better since none of the beds would be shaded by another by the midday sun.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 13:39:02 »

[attachment=1]

Just to clarify. Do you mean the longest axis should run from east to west with the longest sides facing south and north? I thought that this orientation would result in tall crops casting shade over the bed to the north of it? I have seen some beds recently in another garden where the long axis ran north to south and thought that this might be better since none of the beds would be shaded by another by the midday sun.

If you new all this why did you ask?

DAVY

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 13:49:19 »

[attachment=1]

If you new all this why did you ask?

Sorry. I thought I had made a query not a statement. Just wanted  clarification thats all.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 14:21:43 »
That,s that sorted then.
Does it really make any difference, actually i think it does because when deciding the start raised bed gardening you have to take into consideration what will shade your beds, trees, sheds and buildings, which way the garden slopes if not on the level, easy access to water and from your main path.
If i was to convert to raised bed gardening in my case i would favor North to South because of the above factors.
So why did i say East to West, of the advantages of raised bed gardening is the fact that the soil warms up quicker so if the bed is broad side on to the sun it will warm the soil quicker. Whether the plants will get more light is debatable as this is down to planning and rotation of crops.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 14:30:49 by davyw1 »

DAVY

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 14:53:46 »
That,s that sorted then.
Does it really make any difference, actually i think it does because when deciding the start raised bed gardening you have to take into consideration what will shade your beds, trees, sheds and buildings, which way the garden slopes if not on the level, easy access to water and from your main path.
If i was to convert to raised bed gardening in my case i would favor North to South because of the above factors.
So why did i say East to West, of the advantages of raised bed gardening is the fact that the soil warms up quicker so if the bed is broad side on to the sun it will warm the soil quicker. Whether the plants will get more light is debatable as this is down to planning and rotation of crops.

I see. Thanks.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 16:06:06 »
I wish I had your sense of order AAL.You have a great plot. :)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 18:43:07 »
Hi just wanted to say that I have grown potatoes in slightly raised beds this year (without wooden surrounds) & have used grass guttings to 'earth up'. Been really successful sofar  ;D

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 20:05:23 »
I agree with Davy.

My plot slopes to the south lengthwise and it was convenient to make three beds across.

I think that wind, cold, rain, slugs, disease and pigeons are a greater problem than orientation.

PS I can now add thieves, as my onions were recently raided.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 21:44:51 »
My plot is north/south and the beds East/West. I inherited it in that format and have found it works.

When I took on a second plot I made the beds north/south to compare, but to be honest there was no appreciable difference between the two. When Peter died I gave up the second plot because it was just too much both in terms of effort and in terms of produce for me on my own.

AAL are you retired? I only ask because I find the amount of stuff you are able to do quite mind-boggling!!! (and that's from a recognised workaholic!!)

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 22:31:46 »
I am a full-time GP and I live less than a mile from my practice, a few hundred yards from my allotment and more or less in heaven.

I can visit my plot before morning surgery, during the afternoon and at weekends.

The Mersey is 500 yards away, Liverpool airport 4 miles away and the city centre 4  miles away in the other direction, 20 minutes cycle ride along the promenade,

My local train station is half a mile away and I have an old gits free pass.

Apart from Bill Gates, who can have a better life especially as my three children have never given me a minutes anxiety.

My only worry is what shall I do in 26 months when I am 65?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 22:33:51 by allaboutliverpool »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 22:53:38 »
Sounds like "le paradis terrestre"! I guess when you retire you'll have more time for your wife and France? And maybe space for a new additional hobby? You lucky man!!

Personally, as a full-time teacher (work on the other side of Edinburgh in an area of social deprivation), i find it hard to meet all my obligations - never mind the allotment - but then I hve a 97 year old blind and deaf man in tow too.

Anyway your work is impressive!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2008, 14:42:32 »
QUOTE  ALLABOUTLIVERPOOL [ I am a full-time GP ]  CAN I HAVE A SICK NOTE.

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal