Author Topic: Griping!  (Read 4499 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Griping!
« on: July 03, 2008, 18:07:03 »
I recently had cause to make an appointment by 'phone. The very pleasant young lady asked my full name so I gave it. She then called me by my first name which was a bit of a jolt as I haven't used it for over 50 years! I did explain, but It occurred to me that I wasn't happy with such familiarity from someone I have never met, but to say anything would have no doubt embarrased her.
Is it me just being old fashioned? What happened to the days when people who didn't know you addressed you as Mrs or Miss? gripe, gripe.....

Smile, it confuses people.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Griping!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 18:29:02 »
don't know which would be worse, I was called MADAM !!!!!
last time I heard myself called that was when my mum called me a little madam  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 20:48:11 »
I don't like being called Mrs/Ms and avoid it at all costs.  I much prefer people to use my first name and I'm not exactly a spring chicken.  Just a matter of preference I think.

But it was funny last night.  I went out for a meal and a drink with a friend.  When I was at the bar someone said: excuse me young lady. Naturally I didn't think for one moment the remark was addressed at me so I took no notice.  Then the person who was serving me said excuse me, I think that man over there is talking to you!  Made my evening.   ;D

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 20:57:18 »
I'd rather be called by my first name also.  Now, if you had introduced yourself as Elizabeth and she began calling you let's say, "Lizzie, Doll" that would have been disrespectful. ;D

PS- what about in the 1800s when wives would refer to their own husbands as Mr. ___ whatever their last name was. That seems very strange in todays world.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 21:24:01 »
Cor Georgie! My garage man calls me "young lady"....I tell him I love it when he talks dirty ;)

I'm with Emaggie about address....sorted my new GP out when he used my Christian name....yet I was supposed to call him "Doctor"? Cheeky whippersnapper. Told him I'd prefer to keep our relationship professional while we were in his Surgery ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 21:29:14 »
Guy in our village calls me Young Lady. :)

I really do not mind if people use my christian name,pet hate is Love.
That winds me up a bit.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 21:33:00 »
Guy on my plot comes past and says "That'll do lass, that'll do"  ;D  Feel like the pig in Babe rofl
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 21:33:20 »
In Birmingham they call you "bab".

'Cept the Olden Ones....they call you "wench" :D

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 21:45:01 »
I hate being called Mr Wall.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 21:56:21 »

Do you prefer 'Wonder'? ;)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 21:59:30 »
ray calls people 'lovely' and 'young lady', usually 'cos he can't remember their names, men it's 'big fella'  ;D

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 22:01:43 »

Do you prefer 'Wonder'? ;)

G x

I've heard worse.

I like to be called Mick, my Mum was the only person that got away with calling me michael.

Chilipepper

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 22:03:12 »
dont mind my first name what really gripes me is when you hear men calling there partners/wifes our lass GRRRRR

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 22:16:00 »
where i work in the hospital we ask people what they would like us to call them have only ever had one person say call me Mr such and such did have a lord once who wanted to be called lord whatever,
my name is Deborah but only a few older people call me that or me mum when im in trouble its debbie or debs to everyone else deborah makes me think im in trouble

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 22:23:08 »
In Birmingham they call you "bab".

'Cept the Olden Ones....they call you "wench" :D
Wench? Really!  LOL  That sounds cute!

The old geezers at work could get away with calling women Honey, Doll, Dear etc. despite being told it was not politically correct. I can't see taking offense because they meant no harm and usually you can't teach an ol' dog new tricks.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 22:30:51 »
I don't have a problem with people I know and have been introduced to socially-they can call me whatever they like ;D, it's people obviously younger than me and/or in a business situation. It makes me feel as if they are humouring the old dear. BW is not like me, he is John to the world, but I do remember a situation on a caravan site in France a few years ago when he was complaining to the student-in-charge(!) about the filthiness of it and the very young man made the mistake of calling him 'mate'. The roar came back "mate? I'm not your mate, "  and a lecture about respecting one's elders followed. I bet he does now.
Smile, it confuses people.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 22:46:08 »
If a gentleman holds a door open for me I do have a habit of saying  "Thank you young man" The young ones usually say "Your welcome love!!" and the older ones usually smile and say "Oh I wish!!"
I don't like being called Mrs, I usually ask people to use my Christian name. At our Doctor's surgery all the nurses are called by their Christian names.
The people I really object to are the people who telephone me and say "Hell Lorna, how are you today?" then give me some sales rubbish!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 23:01:56 »
my name is Deborah but only a few older people call me that or me mum when im in trouble its debbie or debs to everyone else deborah makes me think im in trouble
Hahahaha that made me LOL, cos being a "Deborah" myself, if that is used, it is usually by my Mum and I have done something BAD!
I really HATE that I introduce myself as Deb, and they then say Debbie, I am not a Debbie, I do not look like a Debbie and I DID NOT introduce myself as Debbie!

Having gone to the Dr's with me Mum for too much in the past month, it is VERY weird to me to hear someone younger than me call her Margaret.............I guess I am just old fashioned, but I likes a bit of respect for her!

And my niece calls her Mum by her first name, what is that???? There is only one person in this life you can call Mum, so enjoy the priviledge! ;D ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 23:11:28 »

The people I really object to are the people who telephone me and say "Hell Lorna, how are you today?" then give me some sales rubbish!!

"HELL, Lorna" could never be a correct business opener!  LOL  had to read that twice

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 23:31:47 »
I do not like strangers in business calling me by my first name because it is not the name I use.  My first name is my middle name and I am Carol to folk who do know me.  I like respect and some salesman on the end of the phone who don't know me and call me Carol, gets my back up.  I do tell them I am Mrs T. to you.   Theres too much informality about nowadays and look how society in general has gone to the dogs.   I am old fashioned but don't care, I like respect.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal