Author Topic: help - should have paid more attention at school  (Read 2829 times)

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: help - should have paid more attention at school
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 20:21:14 »
I think that the ideas are all good.  I have taken it a little further by cutting the pipe in half and using a piece of dowelling to join the pieces together in the middle.  This gives scope to widen the hoops if needed and also gives a flat top and slightly pushes the arch out to give an almost cube cover rather than a half circle.  Obviously gaffer tape holds the pieces together and apart as it were.  I also found that this dowelling gives a bit more stability top the structure.

However, as always it is better to do something that tickles your fancy rather than blindly follow what everyone else does.

enjoy your gardening even when it p**s down with rain

regards Bill

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 22:06:18 »
as promises pics of the closh over the cabages - clips didnt work as good as i hoped but ive used them and added some plant ties

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 06:19:47 »
Barnie - these clips go brittle, too.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 10:08:34 »
b**ger - just bought some  :D

It's ok. They'll do me until I get more sorted. This winter I plan to build a movable frame to follow the brassica around.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 10:34:19 »
I posted some images on these. it's in the cheap cloche hoops thread.
You couldn't make it up!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 19:58:32 »
Thank you for this thread, it made it so much easier to explain to OH, he just read it and knew what I wanted!  I am now the proud owner of 2 fully covered raised beds at home and a pile of hoops to take to the allotment.

The pipe clips on the side of the beds have worked really well.  We have covered them with Wilko's netting and found that if we used tacks placed along the long sides we could hook the netting tightly on to them which has given a very neat finish and weighted it down with a plank at each end.

Although I have been on here for years I still haven't managed to post a photo... one day...

Anyway I am really grateful for this thread - the cabbage whites won't be as they were eyeing up my brassicas yesterday!

Thank you  :)

T.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 22:55:13 »
Used cable ties to secure netting to frames - cheap and easy to use once I sussed out there was a wrong way and a right way round to a cable clip -  wow, did I feel daft when I realised  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal